just a heads up, finally ASUS w680 available.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Do you have different information than Intel?

According to Intel, they all have ECC and Quicksync.

Double check on ASUS site - they all support ECC

Please show me what I’m missing

I got confused regarding which CPU's supported ECC thinking the "K" series CPU's were listed as not supporting it. That's what I get for relying on memory instead of verifying with actual data. Thanks for the clarification.

Intel's ARC does have a pretty good comparison tool that you can use to show all current offerings that support ECC.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...pe=873&0_StatusCodeText1=3,4&0_ECCMemory=True

Last edited:

a.dresner

Explorer
I was about to turn to Chat GPT to help me with that one :D

But the previous point about DDR5 ECC memory not being available was spot on.. if someone needed to build out this month, gotta go with X12 or earlier and DDR4

jgreco

Resident Grinch
@jgreco What is your opinion about this board? https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/x13sae-f

As much as I like Supermicro for their server products, ....eh.

Your main problems here would be the use of hard-to-obtain DDR5, and for use as a NAS, you only have two meaningful PCIe slots, as there's two x4 and two x16. It's clearly meant for workstation usage, as evidenced by the GPU-oriented slots, and adding in cards that would be useful in a NAS or hypervisor is very difficult, as your typical server cards such as HBA, 10G, RAID, etc., are almost always x8 cards.

I personally have no use for this. The PC that runs my desktop is a decade-old HP Elite 8300 with a 2015-ish era VisionTek Radeon HD 7750 3M 4K UHD in it; I don't do compute on my desktop. That's outsourced to the office hypervisor cluster, and the PC effectively acts as a smart terminal for VMRC, RDP, VNC, SSH, etc., to talk to stuff that's running on the cluster. This gives me easy access to those resources from anywhere, ranging from a modest laptop on up to bigger stuff.

This gives me a particular anti-workstation perspective because I can not really imagine the utility of a workstation-class machine; they're very lopsided in that they have lots of CPU and memory that isn't well used, while having weird I/O issues such as generally not being RAID1 or redundant network, etc.

For a NAS box, I think the sticking point is the lack of x8 slots. You might be able to work around this with PCIe bifurcation of the x16 slots though.

You asked what I thought. There ya go. :smile:

a.dresner

Explorer
Compatible memory from crucial Micron MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R - Ddr5 - Module - 32 Gb - Dimm 288-pin - 4800 Mhz is currently avail from Beach Audio is eBay with global shipping, and a few others. Already ordered mine.

I’m hopeful the workstation features will shine through in a windows VM.

1 of the PCI 5 slots for GFX pass through to VM
1 for HBA is compatible with 8x
I don’t need 10GB, could never saturate that. 2x Intel 2.5 and I’ll add in 2x 2.5th via PCI on one of the open PCI slots for pass through to VM.

Will have to see how it comes together and behaves during a burn in and test period. If it’s wonky, I’ll use an old X9 motherboard, CPU, Ram combo I have laying around till I can find something to else

a.dresner

Explorer
As much as I like Supermicro for their server products, ....eh.

Your main problems here would be the use of hard-to-obtain DDR5, and for use as a NAS, you only have two meaningful PCIe slots, as there's two x4 and two x16. It's clearly meant for workstation usage, as evidenced by the GPU-oriented slots, and adding in cards that would be useful in a NAS or hypervisor is very difficult, as your typical server cards such as HBA, 10G, RAID, etc., are almost always x8 cards.

I personally have no use for this. The PC that runs my desktop is a decade-old HP Elite 8300 with a 2015-ish era VisionTek Radeon HD 7750 3M 4K UHD in it; I don't do compute on my desktop. That's outsourced to the office hypervisor cluster, and the PC effectively acts as a smart terminal for VMRC, RDP, VNC, SSH, etc., to talk to stuff that's running on the cluster. This gives me easy access to those resources from anywhere, ranging from a modest laptop on up to bigger stuff.

This gives me a particular anti-workstation perspective because I can not really imagine the utility of a workstation-class machine; they're very lopsided in that they have lots of CPU and memory that isn't well used, while having weird I/O issues such as generally not being RAID1 or redundant network, etc.

For a NAS box, I think the sticking point is the lack of x8 slots. You might be able to work around this with PCIe bifurcation of the x16 slots though.

You asked what I thought. There ya go. :smile:
You got me thinking about the PCI slots, and if I were to put Proxmox or ESXi on, and then try to pass through these PCIe slots to VMs, like a 9211-8i to TrueNas. I think that this is where I will potentially run into some issues? Is it hard to passthrough

On the Asus
Intel® 13th & 12th Gen Processors*
- 2 x PCIe 5.0 x16 slots (support x16 or x8 / x8 mode)
Intel® W680 Chipset
- 2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (supports x4 mode)
- 1 x PCIe 3.0 x1 slot

Lets say I put a GPU on 1 PCIe 5
9211-8i on the second
Will they be hard to pass through? I doubt Asus workstation boards have proper groups

The 3 other PCI on the chipset are x4 or less and so I can't use them for the HBA, NVME and NIC card yes

I see what you mean about the slots on my X12STH-LN4F
1 PCIe 4.0 x16
1 PCIe 4.0 x4 (in x8 slot)
1 PCIe 3.0 x4 (in x8 slot)
and
2 SATA DOM (Disk on Module) power connector support

I will give it all a shot, worst case, this becomes my new workstation at the office, and I am in need of one :D

oncdoc

Dabbler
I passed thru my HBA on the bottom pcie slot. I put it as a gen 3 in BIOS. Did not need bifurcation

oncdoc

Dabbler
You got me thinking about the PCI slots, and if I were to put Proxmox or ESXi on, and then try to pass through these PCIe slots to VMs, like a 9211-8i to TrueNas. I think that this is where I will potentially run into some issues? Is it hard to passthrough

On the Asus
Intel® 13th & 12th Gen Processors*
- 2 x PCIe 5.0 x16 slots (support x16 or x8 / x8 mode)
Intel® W680 Chipset
- 2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (supports x4 mode)
- 1 x PCIe 3.0 x1 slot

Lets say I put a GPU on 1 PCIe 5
9211-8i on the second
Will they be hard to pass through? I doubt Asus workstation boards have proper groups

The 3 other PCI on the chipset are x4 or less and so I can't use them for the HBA, NVME and NIC card yes

I see what you mean about the slots on my X12STH-LN4F
1 PCIe 4.0 x16
1 PCIe 4.0 x4 (in x8 slot)
1 PCIe 3.0 x4 (in x8 slot)
and
2 SATA DOM (Disk on Module) power connector support

I will give it all a shot, worst case, this becomes my new workstation at the office, and I am in need of one :D
Using proxmox and running great. I did have to install Windows first and update the ethernet ports via Asus armory.

oncdoc

Dabbler
I'm running non ECC memory right now and may stick with it . In fact there are 48 gigabyte memory modules coming out by crucial.

a.dresner

Explorer
I passed thru my HBA on the bottom pcie slot. I put it as a gen 3 in BIOS. Did not need bifurcation
thank you, there are 5 slots, which slot exactly?

a.dresner

Explorer
I'm running non ECC memory right now and may stick with it . In fact there are 48 gigabyte memory modules coming out by crucial.
I wouldn’t use non Ecc memory with ZFS, but that’s another thread

oncdoc

Dabbler
Compatible memory from crucial Micron MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R - Ddr5 - Module - 32 Gb - Dimm 288-pin - 4800 Mhz is currently avail from Beach Audio is eBay with global shipping, and a few others. Already ordered mine.

I’m hopeful the workstation features will shine through in a windows VM.

1 of the PCI 5 slots for GFX pass through to VM
1 for HBA is compatible with 8x
I don’t need 10GB, could never saturate that. 2x Intel 2.5 and I’ll add in 2x 2.5th via PCI on one of the open PCI slots for pass through to VM.

Will have to see how it comes together and behaves during a burn in and test period. If it’s wonky, I’ll use an old X9 motherboard, CPU, Ram combo I have laying around till I can find something to else
Check wired zone for better prices
thank you, there are 5 slots, which slot exac

oncdoc

Dabbler
Screenshot_20230220-194301.png

a.dresner

Explorer
I would keen to know if we can pass through one of the 2 x16 (8x8) ports up top. Don’t want to put my HBA on a x4 slot

The two up top are running off the CPU, is that an issue?

a.dresner

Explorer
Funny, got the ram and now having issues getting a PSU, supplies low here in Thailand

oncdoc

Dabbler
I would keen to know if we can pass through one of the 2 x16 (8x8) ports up top. Don’t want to put my HBA on a x4 slot

The two up top are running off the CPU, is that an issue?
What are the advantages of the 8x8 port?

a.dresner

Explorer
I’m not certain which HBA you are using, but if its one of the common ones like the 9211-8i, its going to be PCI 2 or 3, X8 which means it can use 8 lanes in the PCI bus. If you are using the x8 card in a x4 slot, thats not optimal, and it may even cause issues? I think one of the senior members around here can comment on that.

It’s why server class boards have plenty of x8 slots and our workstation board has x16 and x4. Our x16 slots can work at x8

Bottom line, you want to use the two top slots if they can be passed through. Have you tried yet?

oncdoc

Dabbler
I’m not certain which HBA you are using, but if its one of the common ones like the 9211-8i, its going to be PCI 2 or 3, X8 which means it can use 8 lanes in the PCI bus. If you are using the x8 card in a x4 slot, thats not optimal, and it may even cause issues? I think one of the senior members around here can comment on that.

It’s why server class boards have plenty of x8 slots and our workstation board has x16 and x4. Our x16 slots can work at x8

Bottom line, you want to use the two top slots if they can be passed through. Have you tried yet?
Your right

I am using a Dell 27NFF LSI 9207-8i HBA SAS with a LSI SAS2308 SAS controller chipset and support PCI-E 3.0 specifications with x8 lanes,

Apparently, it just advertised that I can have 7880MB/sec bandwidth!

Great tip. That's why I love these forums. I'll give it a go. I don't think I have. I just placed the card at the lowest slot closest to the PSU to mitigate heat dissipation above onto the CPU.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you have different information than Intel?

According to Intel, they all have ECC and Quicksync.

Double check on ASUS site - they all support ECC

Please show me what I’m missing

Intel keeps flip-flopping on ECC being supported on many processors. It hasn't been a fun decade in that regard.

oncdoc

Dabbler

Hi there, I took out the gpu and put it in the top slot. Did not even have to run it as gen3. Seems to be working. Thanks for the tip.