First build: All flash 8x8TB RAIDz2 (Samsung 870 QVO 8TB), any red flags?

Z0eff

Dabbler
With DDR5 and no proper scheduling in CORE I see more cons than pros. But SCALE Cobia should have support for the hybrid architecture.

I you want to go ahead, I might have found another choice of drive for you (enterprise TLC at 99% health should beat consumer QLC any day):
My plan is to go straight to the Cobia release candidate. Where did you see Cobia having support for the hybrid architecture? From what I've read it's a few versions behind of what actually supports it. My plan is to just disable the E-cores but if they can actually be used effectively...

That does look tempting. I did however already order the Samsung drives. This is giving me food for thought.

Etorix

Wizard
IIRC, Bluefin is on kernel 5.15 while support for Alder Lake was introduced in 5.18. Cobia is on 6.something, so if we assume that 6.x is newer than 5.18…

Z0eff

Dabbler
IIRC, Bluefin is on kernel 5.15 while support for Alder Lake was introduced in 5.18. Cobia is on 6.something, so if we assume that 6.x is newer than 5.18…
Oh in that case hmm..
Is there even a way to see if TrueNAS is using the cores correctly? Probably not an easy question but I always try to make sure I can see something from more than one angle.

If not then I guess I'm the test subject. I don't mind being a test dummy for new hardware. :smile:

Z0eff

Dabbler
Stuff has arrived, however the SATA backplane in the Icy Dock turns out to be faulty. There's a short somewhere, the PSU refuses to power on when any of it's SATA power plugs are connected to the PSU. :rolleyes:

On the bright side, looks like this LSI HBA has been pre-flashed from what I can see!
K1Rg406.png

WwzqWAQ.png

Doing a quick search, 16.00.12.00 is the latest version correct?

Sasquatch

Explorer
I would save some $$ and get gigabit mobo, saved money will get you 4 port 2.5GBe switch with 2x sfp+ 10gb uplinks and pair of 10g solar flare 72xx cards... You then have 10gb link PC<-> NAS and 2.5 GB link to the rest of the network.
And afaik solar flares72xx are proven rock solid on truenas

Z0eff

Dabbler
I would save some $$ and get gigabit mobo, saved money will get you 4 port 2.5GBe switch with 2x sfp+ 10gb uplinks and pair of 10g solar flare 72xx cards... You then have 10gb link PC<-> NAS and 2.5 GB link to the rest of the network.
And afaik solar flares72xx are proven rock solid on truenas
Everything is bought and assembled already. :)

Stuff has arrived, however the SATA backplane in the Icy Dock turns out to be faulty. There's a short somewhere, the PSU refuses to power on when any of it's SATA power plugs are connected to the PSU. :rolleyes:

On the bright side, looks like this LSI HBA has been pre-flashed from what I can see!
K1Rg406.png

WwzqWAQ.png

Doing a quick search, 16.00.12.00 is the latest version correct?
Did you get this sorted out?