Jellyfin install issues/questions

Napalm

Dabbler
OK so noob using truenas scale so please bear with me.

Installed with ZFSRaid1 pool. I started a test system but my end goal is a home media server plus - with a few other applications working. Box is a HP Z420 workstation with 32gb of ram. Install is on a 128gb SSD I have laying around - Not so sure that's a good idea.

OK so I'm fairly sure I'm doing something wrong but I'm at a loss.

Loaded the truenas charts repository - got that started and used their install of Jellyfin. I also setup a SMB share and a FTP setup so I could push some sample movies to the machine. It seems they are in a folder with the name of that user.

Any help is appreciated as I'm sure I'm doing something simple wrong. OH and I tried to install jellyfin with the hostpath folder storage addition but it locks up deploying. or rather it errors.

Meanwhile my eventual plan is to also have this setup with LIDARR, RADARR and a few other items so I'm sure this same path issue.

Also side note it would be handy if there was some sort of file browser in the webgui so when logged in as root you could see where things are in total.

I believe the gist of the issue is that jellyfin when running doesn't have permission to see the mnt/media/User/movie folder that was created when the share transfered the files.

Thank you again.

Heracles

Wizard
Box is a HP Z420 workstation with 32gb of ram. Install is on a 128gb SSD I have laying around - Not so sure that's a good idea.

Actual server grade hardware would indeed be much better...

Any help is appreciated

First thing for us to help you would be for you to tell us what is not working.... Read again your own post : what is not working up to your expectation? You see your stuff but can not open it ? What is the error message you receive ? You do not see it at all ? Can you log in the Jellyfin interface ? What do you see from there ? ... It is your shares that are not working properly ? ...

truecharts

Guru
Installed with ZFSRaid1 pool. I started a test system but my end goal is a home media server plus - with a few other applications working. Box is a HP Z420 workstation with 32gb of ram. Install is on a 128gb SSD I have laying around - Not so sure that's a good idea.
Hardware looks fine, don't worry too much :)

Loaded the truenas charts repository - got that started and used their install of Jellyfin.
I think you're refering to us :)
Though we're called "TrueCharts" and are not related to TrueNAS or iX Systems.

I also setup a SMB share and a FTP setup so I could push some sample movies to the machine. It seems they are in a folder with the name of that user.

Any help is appreciated as I'm sure I'm doing something simple wrong. OH and I tried to install jellyfin with the hostpath folder storage addition but it locks up deploying. or rather it errors.

We generally provide support through email and Discord, and take bugreports on our own github.
All of which are available on our website: https://truecharts.org.

Napalm

Dabbler
that's what I get for typing too fast. Yes Truecharts.

so yes my xeon processor and 32gb of ECC ram just can't handle the server load of doing nearly nothing. yeah good thing I have 8 cores.

SO what doesn't work is that Jellyfin container doesn't seem to see any other folders on the server. I go to add media and tried to have it add the entire media pool but it won't do that so I suspect I need to make a directory and let it be operable to all users. In general terms.

I'll start posts on the other site. thank you

jag5cof

Dabbler
I hope someone could tell me why when my truenas scales server is restarted my truechart app jellyfin server can connect. No previous logs are available.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 3.25.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 3.25.01 PM.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 876
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 3.24.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 3.24.52 PM.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 475
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 3.24.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 3.24.41 PM.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,283

truecharts

Guru
I hope someone could tell me why when my truenas scales server is restarted my truechart app jellyfin server can connect. No previous logs are available.
This is kinda a necro of this thread that is months old already.

It's best to reach out to us directly in these cases.
Our support channels are generally email (for simple quick questions), github (for bugs) and discord (for support).

This might be as simple as a port-conflict or more complicated. There is no way to tell, without going through our support process.

TheSir

Dabbler
that's what I get for typing too fast. Yes Truecharts.

so yes my xeon processor and 32gb of ECC ram just can't handle the server load of doing nearly nothing. yeah good thing I have 8 cores.

SO what doesn't work is that Jellyfin container doesn't seem to see any other folders on the server. I go to add media and tried to have it add the entire media pool but it won't do that so I suspect I need to make a directory and let it be operable to all users. In general terms.

I'll start posts on the other site. thank you
I noticed the same problem of missing media folders within Jellyfin TrueCharts App. When i understand the problem correctly, its necessairy to mount the media pool for jellyfin, but i dont know how. Did you found a solution in the meantime?

truecharts

Guru
I noticed the same problem of missing media folders within Jellyfin TrueCharts App. When i understand the problem correctly, its necessairy to mount the media pool for jellyfin, but i dont know how. Did you found a solution in the meantime?
Following the guides and/or filing a support request with us like explained, would most likely help ;-)

TheSir

Dabbler
Following the guides and/or filing a support request with us like explained, would most likely help ;-)
I dont know if its just me, but if i want to read the quick guide, i get an 404...

It would be generally helpful to know, how we can mount internal storage into those Apps / Containers. There are a lot of Apps in truecharts catalog like doublecommander or Duplicati which are pretty useless without access to internal storage.

EDIT: PVC (Simple) shows no POOL inside the App and HostPath (Simple) allows to add a mount path to the app, but without access rights. that means the path shows empty in the app

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
I dont know if its just me, but if i want to read the quick guide, i get an 404...

You seem to be using an older URL, we cannot guarantee old url's stay working, but are working hard on the website to get things in order for release anyway :)
Please use the website menu to compensate for the non-working links when possible ^^

It would be generally helpful to know, how we can mount internal storage into those Apps / Containers. There are a lot of Apps in truecharts catalog like doublecommander or Duplicati which are pretty useless without access to internal storage.

We already offer multiple guides for it and have members dedicating themself for support.

PVC (Simple) shows no POOL inside the App and HostPath (Simple) allows to add a mount path to the app, but without access rights. that means the path shows empty in the app

In a lot of cases we do, already, compensate for permissions issues, in other cases we have either guides or support staff available on our dedicated support channels (not this forum) to help out.

UmbraAtrox

Cadet
if i want to read the quick guide, i get an 404...
They updated their tutorial. New Link: https://truecharts.org/manual/Quick-Start Guides/02-Installing-an-App/
PVC (Simple) shows no POOL inside the App and HostPath (Simple) allows to add a mount path to the app, but without access rights. that means the path shows empty in the app
I hope this helps:

To add my media dataset i clicked on add and then hostpath, selected the path to media dataset and typed "/media" as mountthing for jellyfin:
1639619889265.png

For permissions 568 is "apps" for accessing the dataset only "fsGroup" is important (i assume)
1639620068534.png

So apps has to be allowed to access your media which you set in dataset permissions. For me it looks like this (NFSv4):
1639620466537.png
1639620491484.png

Then they show up in jellyfin in /media
1639620972172.png

Napalm

Dabbler
Thank you for that. I thought what I was hitting as a permissions and mounting issue but I wasn't sure why. and I did read the earlier guide but didn't get very far hence this post.

Also I did start on truecharts discord - there is alot of info in there too which is nice. I haven't gotten back into this since Christmas so hopefully in the near month I'll have more on this running as intended.

Napalm

Dabbler
OH one more thing for those that might care.

Jellyfin seems to be a little hard to use on the device - in my case a roku device. Now its not hard to use as one account - now quite what I mean. I have 4 people in my house 2 are kids. and so what I see lacking in the player software is profile management. This is the roku version so perhaps different for others. But it starts with email or account name and password log in which is fine once. but to change over to another account like my kids account - requires retyping that account name and password with the remote etc. as opposed to pick a profile name/pic - and go. I might end up using plex because I think it does this better. Still looking.