Is there a step-by-step guide for installing The Jellyfin APP on TrueNas scale

Witzker

Cadet
I have tried to install the Jellifin Trucharts App
1658579363712.png

But i did something wrong, so I want to start from scratch.
What I want to achieve is transferring my mp3 files to The TrueNas server

What are the first steps to get the files in a folder structure?
Then Install Jellyfin APP ant create media libraries on this folder where the mp3 are.

Hope for help for a newbie.
THX

truecharts

Guru
While we have active support staff available to help with issues like these on Discord and Github (the later only for bugs and code-related issues though), we do not offer support here.

When it comes to guides, our quick-start guides and video-guides are relatively easy to follow and apply to mostly all of our Apps.
If those fail we have support staff available to help out.

But we're not a guide-building community and we also cannot guarantee to the quality of external guides (They exist, but many users got burned by advise to use settings we do not actually support)

mgoulet65

Explorer
No idea why you're sad by the fact we have guides, videoguides and support staff available.
I love you guys and what you make available to the Scale community is awesome. In addition I have benefited from support and private chats with your team on Discord.

People on this forum do seem to whine a fair amount about what you DON'T provide. I guess that's their right and it's gonna happen. I would advise you to just ignore it in future...you're not likely to make your point to those complainers. Sometimes (maybe this case here?) people are just venting that they didn't get the free help they were hoping for. Net-net: You're not WRONG in pointing out what you actually do provide, but you're probably not helping yourselves by replying.

Take this $0.02 however you like :smile:. It was given in the spirit of helping.

danb35

Hall of Famer
What I want to achieve is transferring my mp3 files to The TrueNas server
I've never touched Jellyfin, and I've only played with SCALE a little bit, but what part of this is a problem? "Create share, copy files to it" seems pretty straightforward*. So does "put them on an external drive and use the Import Disk feature to copy them over." Where are you having problems with that? I'm assuming you have some familiarity with what a NAS is and how it works, since you installed one.
What are the first steps to get the files in a folder structure?
I guess the first step would be to create the folders you want, and the second would be to put the files there. But, as with the last question, this is obvious enough that I don't think it's your real question--though from what you wrote, I have no idea what the real question is.
Then Install Jellyfin APP
Any of the TrueCharts guides would be relevant here, as all of their apps work pretty much the same way. You'd want to add storage for the app, pointing to the directory where you stored the MP3s; this guide should help with that:
ant create media libraries on this folder where the mp3 are
I'm sure the Jellyfin docs would help here.

It really sounds like you're looking for a guide that starts at "freshly-installed SCALE server with no users, pools, or shares", and ends with "Jellyfin serving my media." I don't think you're going to find such a guide, and I doubt anyone's going to be very motivated to write one; I'm not aware of one for Plex or Emby either. But there should be ample support available for each part of this.

*I'm aware that the TrueCharts folks advise against using shared directories as external storage for their containers due to issues with ACLs, but I don't see in their docs what they recommend as an alternative.

Witzker

Cadet
I cannot find out how to configure the installation of the
Truecharts Jellyfin APP on TrueNas scale

What I have is a Pool and a Dataset called Apps

Then I have a Dataset called Music and Mutag both filed with mp3s

My problem is that I don't know what to set during install here:

1658689481711.png

In some YouTube videos I have seen installing other apps that there need to be putted a config & cache path !!??
Maybe it's clear what is my problem and anyone can help out, pls.

I think the rest of the installation can stay as it is?

Hope for patience with a newbie

danb35

Hall of Famer
What I have is a Pool and a Dataset called Apps
What is the purpose of that dataset?
My problem is that I don't know what to set during install here:
From what you've described, you'd want to add two host paths, one for Music and one for Mutag. The mount path can be anything you like, but /media/music and /media/mutag would seem like good choices.

aindriu

Dabbler