Jellyfin and folder structures in TrueNas scale

Lennuk

Cadet
Hello!
Sorry in advance, I am a total noob in everything related to NAS, coding, linux etc.

So, i recently got into building my own NAS. I somehow managed to get the system running on TrueNAS scale. But nearly everything after that seemed to fail.

I set up an SMB share, which works perfectly fine. I installed the catalog of Truecharts, to be able to install "Jellyfin" as an App. I got it running (while ignoring every setting on the Installation out of the fear, I would break something). But when I try to add a "Media Library", I cannot choose the path to my movie folder in my SMB share, it just doesn't show up.

I also tried to create an folder with the "generic" share type, which i then could choose as a path, but then I don't know how to copy files to "generic share type folders".

Sorry for the bad explaination of my problem, it is hard to describe a problem, you don't even understand yourself... many hours of research on my own lead to nothing.

My question now is, is there any tutorial on how to set up a proper folder structure for Jellyfin, to then just use it to fill it with my media and get it working?

danb35

Hall of Famer
ignoring every setting on the Installation out of the fear, I would break something). But when I try to add a "Media Library", I cannot choose the path to my movie folder in my SMB share,
These two things are related. Jellyfin, like all the other apps, runs in its own container, and can only access the locations in your filesystem you give it access to. You'll need to add the path to your movie folder as a Host Path to the app.

Lennuk

Cadet
These two things are related. Jellyfin, like all the other apps, runs in its own container, and can only access the locations in your filesystem you give it access to. You'll need to add the path to your movie folder as a Host Path to the app.
Thank you very much for your fast reply.

Can I still add Host Paths after the installation?

Lennuk

Cadet
Thank you very much for your fast reply.

Can I still add Host Paths after the installation?
Nevermind, I just found out, it is possbile.

Now, I can add the path to my library, but then it doesn't show me any movies, doesn't even scan the library when i click the button.

Maybe I can figure out, how it works by myself, but if you know the answer, it would be nice, if I could hear it :D

Fs0ci3ty

Cadet
Sorry for resurrecting this post,i have same problem now the me folder scans it correctly
it was enough to put the directory from the main root and not from the samba share
the problem is that if I update the truechart app or shut it down and restart it...
I get this login error... "We are unable to connect to the selected server at the moment. Please make sure it is running and try again."
and i have to redo all the jellyfin configuration from the beginning

Attachments

• jellyfin1.png
    jellyfin1.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 174
  • jellyfin.png
    jellyfin.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 153

edwhard

Cadet
Sorry for resurrecting this post,i have same problem now the me folder scans it correctly
it was enough to put the directory from the main root and not from the samba share
the problem is that if I update the truechart app or shut it down and restart it...
I get this login error... "We are unable to connect to the selected server at the moment. Please make sure it is running and try again."
and i have to redo all the jellyfin configuration from the beginning
Hi, did you manage to fix it? I'm having the same problem

chowndav12

Cadet
Have you found this post yet?

Installing Jellyfin on TrueNAS Scale

I followed these instructions and seemed to have fairly quick success with my Music folder. My other Media folder on the other hand is another story. I've been fighting with Jellyfin seeing the second share despite doing everything the same as far as I can tell.

In reading the OP's comments, they have SMB shares for their media, but according to the above link document, Jellyfin and TrueNAS require NFS shares. So I have done both for my folders so that my Windows machines can read/write data to those folders with the SMB share, and Jellyfin can read as well via NFS.

TrueNAS Shares.png

I'm not sure about the server issue, though. I was able to get on to the server on my home network after following the document above. hopefully something there helps. I'm about to go back over that link and re-set up my media share.

pleb_123

Cadet
Have you found this post yet?

Installing Jellyfin on TrueNAS Scale

I followed these instructions and seemed to have fairly quick success with my Music folder. My other Media folder on the other hand is another story. I've been fighting with Jellyfin seeing the second share despite doing everything the same as far as I can tell.

In reading the OP's comments, they have SMB shares for their media, but according to the above link document, Jellyfin and TrueNAS require NFS shares. So I have done both for my folders so that my Windows machines can read/write data to those folders with the SMB share, and Jellyfin can read as well via NFS.

View attachment 70712

I'm not sure about the server issue, though. I was able to get on to the server on my home network after following the document above. hopefully something there helps. I'm about to go back over that link and re-set up my media share.
both SMB and NFS Shares give me an error when trying to install Jellyfin :( it won't let me set my media folder as the additional host path for whatever reason... According to this video, SMB should also work. Maybe I need to try the TrueCharts Jellyfin app, but I've had a bunch of other issues with that before. Too bad the documentation on all of this is so bad