iSCSI must be restarted to reconnect with "iSCSI Initiator X" ?

jimmydlg

Cadet
I've noticed when using "iSCSI Initiator X" on MacOS, I can connect to my defined iSCSI Target once just fine, but then if I try to connect again I get a mounting error. The only way I'm able to reconnect again is by restarting the iSCSI Service on FreeNAS. In Windows, if I use the iSCSI Initiator, I can connect and reconnect as many times as I like, and it doesn't seem to affect the FreeNAS iSCSI Service. Is it possible "iSCSI Initiator X" is causing some fault on the FreeNAS side of things? I'm not using any authentication.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm not familiar with this product; is it possible that it's still connected in the background or is otherwise reconnecting to the FreeNAS target automatically? That would present an error when trying to connect to the same target; restarting the iSCSI service obviously breaks the link and lets you manually connect again.

jimmydlg

Cadet
Here is the software: https://www.kernsafe.com/download/macos-iscsi-initiator.aspx

I don't think it's the case that it's running in the background because I tried rebooting and still on bootup, launched the software and still got the mount error message. But I can go into Windows, connect to the disk from there (which always seems to work) and then if I disconnect in Windows, I'm able to reconnect from iSCSI Initiator X.

But without connecting and disconnecting from Windows the only way to get the ability to connect back from iSCSIIX is to restart the iSCSI Service.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity