Is the S3 target by Minio license free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CF HEOH

Cadet
I think the S3 target powered by Minio is absolutely fantastic and I am starting to build S3 cloud storage services with it. I know that Minio has a commercial license for their version but what about the FreeNAS version?

Is there a capacity limit I can use with the Minio S3 target? Is there a commercial fee/license/subscription to use the Minio S3 target in production?

I am hoping to get some replies. Thank you in advance.

Best regards
/CF

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you asking if FreeNAS has any artificial limits? It doesn't, but the other end may impose some.

CF HEOH

Cadet
Are you asking if FreeNAS has any artificial limits? It doesn't, but the other end may impose some.
HI Eric

Thanks for your reply. I am more concerned about the Minio licensing in the FreeNAS.

I know Minio on other platforms has a commercial price based on capacity. (I met with the guys in Palo Alto last month when I was in the Silicon Valley. I am from Malaysia BTW)

Capacity limit, if imposed, would likely be from Minio I presume. If Minio capacity license is unlimited in FreeNAS (and if it is FREE), that would be super cool.

Do share more info about the Minio licensing (and pricing if any) on FreeNAS. Thank you

danb35

Hall of Famer
I am more concerned about the Minio licensing in the FreeNAS.
There is no Minio licensing in FreeNAS. The S3 client support is provided by rclone, which is free software under the MIT license. FreeNAS is free software, period.

CSP-on-FN

Dabbler
Perhaps the OP was basing his query on this ...

FreeNAS® 11.1-RELEASE User Guide
http://doc.freenas.org/11/services.html#s3

... where it refers directly to Minio in paragraph 11.11 ...
11.11. S3
(snip) The FreeNAS® S3 service uses Minio to provide S3 storage hosted on the FreeNAS® system itself. Minio also provides features beyond the limits of the basic Amazon S3 specifications.

The absence of any mention of 'limits' in that section of the Guide hints (to me too) that FreeNAS might either (a) have some special licensing arrangement with Minio, or else (b) our use of 'Minio' through FreeNAS will be completely free and unlimited.

Until the OP asked this question, I had assumed that (b) was true.
Has anything/something changed since this Guide was published?
Colin P.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ah, I was reading the question as asking about using the FreeNAS box as a client. If it's about using it as a server, then disregard--I know less than nothing in that regard.

CF HEOH

Cadet
Ah, I was reading the question as asking about using the FreeNAS box as a client. If it's about using it as a server, then disregard--I know less than nothing in that regard.
I will ask the Minio guys as well, just to be sure. Thank you for your guidance.

CF HEOH

Cadet
Here is the license for the open source version included in FreeNAS: https://github.com/minio/minio/blob/master/LICENSE.
Yes, Thank you very much.

This clears my confusion. I also got a reply from Minio as well. The FreeNAS Minio Server is the open source release and thus not commercially tied to the Minio server that they are pitching.

All the best to everyone who replied. You guys are awesome!

/CF

Status
Not open for further replies.