SOLVED Is the data in my VM safe?

Davvo

MVP
MOBO: Supermicro X11SSL-F
CPU: Intel Pentium G4560
RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 2666MHz Unbuffered ECC
PSU: LC-Power 560W GOLD
BOOT: 1x Seagate IronWolf 250GB SATA SSD (ZA250NM1A002)
STORAGE: 2x Seagate IronWolf 3 TB CMR HDD (ST3000VN007)
I use FoundryVTT to play DnD online, and I used to manually launch it from my personal machine whenever we needed it online; since I got my TrueNas machine online 24/7 for backup (I found the ZFS searching for a solution to bitrotting) I decided to move into it, and after a bit of reasearch I opted for installing an Ubuntu VM just for that task (I am not familiar with dockers).

I am using my HDDs in a mirror, which also contains the backup dataset, as the zvol for it, and I have setup a snapshot task.

To my understanding this should be enough to assure the safety of the data of the FoundryVTT app that acts as server, but I read that usually for VMs you want to have syncwrites=on and a SLOG or at the very least an UPS. I have none of this, should I be concerned?​

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Can your application survive running on a "real" PC and having the power pulled at some random time? Sure there will be some transactions lost, but if DnD can survive that, you are fine in a VM, too. Snapshots are cheap, perform them hourly. Use a replication task to keep a daily snapshot on a different pool if possible.

The sync=always plus SLOG recommendation comes from the scenario of using TrueNAS as a storage device for e.g. VMware. In that case you have to ensure that when VMware thinks something is flushed to stable storage, it really is.

Davvo

MVP
Yeah, it can survive something like that. My fear was the corruption of the VM or something similar, thank you for your answer.