Is it safe to install missing dependencies to the underlying OS for an application I wish to run (Autotier)?

MostHated

Dabbler
Hey all,
I am running the current version of TNS Beta, and I was wanting to install a data tiering application (Autotier) that monitors the mount locations you specify (ex. /mnt/ssd/data/ and /mnt/hdd/data/) file activity and will move files between them depending on usage, while presenting a single combined mount (ex /mnt/data which shows a combination of /mnt/ssd/data and /mnt/hdd/data in one).

I threw Debian on a VM with a few random 1gb disks just to test it out and it seemed to work well and is said to work with any type of filesystem as it only uses the existing mount points and moves data back and forth between them while presenting a new separate mount for the combined data. The issue I am running into is that when I went to install it, I received the following message about missing dependencies.

Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 autotier : Depends: libboost-system1.71.0 but it is not installable or
                     libboost-all-dev but it is not installable
            Depends: libboost-filesystem1.71.0 but it is not installable or
            Depends: libboost-serialization1.71.0 but it is not installable or
            Depends: librocksdb-dev but it is not installable or
                     librocksdb5.17 but it is not installable
            Depends: libtbb2 but it is not installable or
                     libtbb-dev but it is not installable

I saw in a video by Lawrence Systems on youtube the other day that he had mistakenly ran apt upgrade and an addition at the end of his video said it messed it up, so I assume there are pretty specific dependency requirements for the TrueNAS system.

This leads me to my main question, would it be safe if I were to attempt to manually install any missing dependencies I come across such as the ones listed above, or is TrueNAS tied into the OS in such a way that I would too easily risk messing it up by doing so?

Thanks,
-MH

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
To survive a software update, its best to make it into a boot script...

t's not clear whether it will work, so would need some experimentation. Looking forward to the results.

ornias

Wizard
This leads me to my main question, would it be safe if I were to attempt to manually install any missing dependencies I come across such as the ones listed above, or is TrueNAS tied into the OS in such a way that I would too easily risk messing it up by doing so?
This, you might very well break everything completely.
apt-get is not designed to be used and it might (for example) accidentily update truenas dependencies and break your system like so many other people already found out.

ornias

Wizard
Reading into autotier, it might be an interesting solution for those needing fast intake of data, something (imho) zfs is not well suited for currently as none of the caches speed that up very much.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

ornias

Wizard
That being said, isn't tiering already possible with Gluster?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I guess it's a question to be answered regarding the ability to activate that gluster function and how it interacts with ZFS pools in doing what is stated in the feature description.

It would be great if it can be done via config files for testing (and subsequently offered in the GUI as settings)

ornias

Wizard
I guess it's a question to be answered regarding the ability to activate that gluster function and how it interacts with ZFS pools in doing what is stated in the feature description.

It would be great if it can be done via config files for testing (and subsequently offered in the GUI as settings)
It is possible to use native gluster commands to create (for example) a single-node gluster cluster, I think the same can be done with other features of gluster that are not (currently) available in TrueCommand for testing.

MostHated

Dabbler
Yeah, I had asked about this a while back in that other post, at the time Autotier didn't have a Debian build, but it just came out yesterday, so I figured it was worth revisiting. It was extremely easy to setup, basically just telling it where the mount points are and it did its thing, so I was excited about that. I don't know anything about gluster, and from what I remembered in the limited research I tried to do on tiering for it when I made that other post, I want to say it seemed unnecessarily complicated, but I can't recall if it was actually gluster that was, or one of the other things I was looking into at the time.
I was able to get Autotier set up in about 10-15 minutes in a VM with a few new virtual disks attached

W1ykVc1.png

That said, my NAS OS install is on a NVME in a small USB enclosure, so is relatively easy to make an image back up, so I was thinking that it might be worth a go at this.

I wasn't planning on trying to use apt update or upgrade, but just downloading and installing and dependencies manually, or at least attempting it, then worst case, hopefully, I can just revert back the OS from an image.

The other idea I had was, perhaps it could just run in a Debian docker container which has access to the mounts that you want monitored/tiered, and it can just have the dependencies it needs and runs from there. I have never attempted something like that with docker, but started seeing how I could piece together a dockerfile and compose setup for it if native install wasn't going to work due to dependencies.

Last edited:

sretalla