Looking to get some info about FreeNas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUsD

Contributor
Hello,

I am looking into doing some file hosting for friends and family, essentially being a "cloud" for them. Just randomly came across this software and had a few questions about it and was hoping to find some answers.

Questions:

If I was to use this software how would I A) install it? (is it a Linux flashed base, installable program for an OS or would it be like a standard firmware like a NAS box)

With that asked, if it works as a flash based OS or firmware, could I in fact connect it via usb 3.0 to another computer or esata out and usb 3.0 into another system or can it only be networked in?

Also, what is it like for users? If they log into via FTP or HTTP(S) is it pretty user friendly? I'm dealing with people who can barely turn on a machine.

How "open source" is this? Would I be able to change the graphics banner at the top and etc...

I'm currently using Wing FTP as the server software on a win7 machine so what my main goal to use this software for was exactly that, a NAS but I do not have enough room in my current case for more HDD's and I can't afford a NAS box that 4 or more HDD's.

I guess in short, can I use this software as a DAS?

gpsguy

Here's a link to the FreeNAS documention.

FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD (Unix), not Linux. As the name implies, it a NAS (network attached storage), not a DAS. The software (OS) is typically installed on a USB flash drive (4Gb or larger) - one can't install it on the same drives used for storage.

What is it like for users? - It supports FTP, CIFS, AFP, to name a few services - see the manual for the full list. User's could FTP to it, but doesn't included a HTTP(s) file manager. It includes a web gui (http) to configure it.

I'd encourage you to install it on a flash drive, or in a virtual machine and take it for a spin.

travalon

Explorer
I have it running on a dedicated machine with a couple of terrabytes of storage. It only costs me around $12 a month to run.
Code:
 could I in fact connect it via usb 3.0 to another computer or esata out and usb 3.0 into another system or can it only be networked in? 

If I understand your question correctly, No. It's not like a persistent install of linux on a flash drive that will pretty much boot from any computer. The best thing for you is to go with gpsguy's link and read the manual. It will answer most of your questions and a bunch you didn't know you had. I searched for a while and tried several different options before settling on Freenas and although I am still learning, I am convinced it will do everything I could ever want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.