Looking for NAS Software, Total Noob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluster

Cadet
Hello,

Over the past few months I have been looking at buying a NAS device already built and putting in several hard drives that I have bought however the costs of these devices for a good one is way beyond the budget I have.

I did some research, a little, and found that some software is readily available for installation on computers to turn a desktop into a NAS server which is what I want to do but like some people I want to make sure before I start doing something that I know what I am about to install will work with my hardware & devices before installing.

Right now the idea is to turn a desktop that I only use for media storage into a device that my other computers, playstation 3, xbox360, wdtv live, devices can connect to and stream content from it. I like most people had windows on it, but I am not a fan of Windows by any means. I have also tried Ubuntu & Fedora but its really not what I am looking for as well.

My configuration of the machine is AMD x6 1090t Black Edition CPU, 8gb DDR-1333 mhz memory, onboard radeon 4200 video. Now inside the case its self has a 1x1tb WD Green boot drive, 2x2tb WD Green storage drives & 1 x 2tb Samsung Drive. Also I have recently added a PCI-e Card Raidpoint 662x device to attach a 5 port bay that has 5x2tb samsung drives as well. None of these drives are built in a raid configuration. What I am looking to do is find some software that will allow me to install and configure how to store media on it and allow me to connect via web browser to setup what devices can connect to it.

I am hoping that FreeNAS would do the trick, but I didn't get to see any screen shots and without actually installing it I would be going at this with very limited knowledge of the software. Some people have told me to just use Linux distribution and that would work too.

My main concerns are hardware related especially the rocket raid 662x device. I want to keep this simple as possible.

Please help a noob out

Cluster.

Status
Not open for further replies.