Home Server for NAS Noob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madtkboy

Cadet
Hi all, started noticing recently that my external drives are not doing it anymore, and hoping to go for some centralized storage/ media serving solutions...

Looked up some threads on the forums and noted how FreeNAS8 was light on media options vs 7, but 8.2 is around the corner and seems to be promising.

Since I'm not sure what 8.2 is about, I figure I'd ask about what I think I would like to accomplish with my hardware and see if I should go and build myself a new box...

What I have currently:

PS3
ipad 2
ipod touch 4g
laptop
2 Desktops.
Dlink DIR655 Router attached to cable modem
Dlink DIR625 Router attached to DIR655 via ethernet, rebroadcasting wifi signal upstairs

What I want to pull off:

attach a FreeNAS box to the DIR655 and have it accessible by all my devices.
Stream video/ music to IOS devices (apple home sharing?)
Stream video/ music to PS3 (ps media server?)
Have NAS accessible by desktop computers

Having the NAS accessible by desktop computers seems pretty straightforward. I guess I am curious to see if FreeNAS will stream to the PS3 and IOS devices...

I've seen instructions somewhere for installing PSM to FreeNAS somewhere, but am not sure regarding streaming to IOS devices.

Please point me in the right direction so I can get started.

Thank you!

Streaming to PS3 is not a thing I do. (Jailbroken ATV2 is far superior). But I would say you need UPnP and/or DNLA both some of the first plugins that would be accessible for 8.2.

Streaming to iOS s not done by Home Sharing. You would have to have a iTunes installed on the server. Since there is no headless/server version of iTunes, its a no go. (Don't be confused by some named the Twonky(etc.) streaming server as a iTunes server. You don't get anything else but the ability to play music from a list.)

But there is hope :) http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html Air Video Server can stream your movies to your iOS devices. No iTunes needed.

ATV+Firecore's jailbreak is all I need, just pointing you in the right direction ;)

FreeNAS is really a simple and excellent NAS and 8.2 with plugin support will make FreeNAS perfect for you :)

cubix

Minidlna ships with 8.0.4 multimedia and 8.2.0 as a plugin. Works well for steaming to ps3. Some forum members are working on a serviio plugin. Can't comment on apple devices as the only one I own is the apple TV jailbroken running xbmc.

lrusak

Explorer
Streaming to PS3 is not a thing I do. (Jailbroken ATV2 is far superior). But I would say you need UPnP and/or DNLA both some of the first plugins that would be accessible for 8.2.

Streaming to iOS s not done by Home Sharing. You would have to have a iTunes installed on the server. Since there is no headless/server version of iTunes, its a no go. (Don't be confused by some named the Twonky(etc.) streaming server as a iTunes server. You don't get anything else but the ability to play music from a list.)

You can use MiniDLNA to serve video and audio files to the PS3 and any apple devices that can use a upnp app (such as buzzplayer or airplayer)

you can also use the firefly plugin to create an itunes server that serves up music to other devices using itunes sharing (I'm unsure if homesharing is available).

miniDLNA and Firefly are already available as plugins in the plugins directory at Sourceforge. http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-8.2.0/x64/plugins/

Status
Not open for further replies.