Is FreeNAS right for me? (A short story)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnblanker

Explorer
I get hung up on the mode checkboxes (pic attached). For the example in the pic, they are setting up a share for a single user to access. The user is user1, and that's also the name of the group. So user1 is the only person that can touch this share. The owner (R/W/E) are all checked off, but Group and Other cannot write. This is confusing. Was an actual group: user1 actually created? And does Other mean that other people can read and execute the files?

Attachments

• share mode.JPG
    share mode.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 247

johnblanker

Explorer
Hey guys, so I set up a password windows share using the guidelines here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVJQ0Vx_6i4

It's the only thing that worked. Blindly doing it didn't work, and the wizards did not work at all.

And then I created an open share. For the open share, I used the same setup as above but left user as root and group as wheel. Set only allow guest access. I could open the share in windows but could not write to it. I changed the user to nobody and group to nogroup and that worked. I can write to the share. Is this the proper way to setup full permissions on an open share?

With Freenas I just assume that even though it is working and I get what I want, it doesn't mean its configured correctly.:rolleyes:

I am getting closer to purchasing a real build and start using the system for real. Right now I am just using it on some leftover hardware. Considering this is all I am going to do for now, just provide a safe home for my important docs and share them across my network, is there anything else I should learn about?

Thanks again for everyone's help. I couldn't have done it without the support here.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
And then I created an open share. For the open share, I used the same setup as above but left user as root and group as wheel. Set only allow guest access. I could open the share in windows but could not write to it. I changed the user to nobody and group to nogroup and that worked. I can write to the share. Is this the proper way to setup full permissions on an open share?

This is addressed in the manual under "Sharing" as "Configuring Unauthenticated Access". I am assuming you are talking about CIFS since you mentioned Windows.

So the short answer is: "Yes, you are fine like that".

mjt5282

Contributor
I use Freenas 9.3.1 to serve flac to my Sonos and other audio streamers, blu ray's to my Dune's (using NFS (udp) ) , backup photos, rsync server, I am a former unix guy so the unix and command line don't confuse me. With windows, sometimes the issue with SMB sharing is due to ACL's , not permissions. I mostly use UNIX shares and don't have much "magic" to offer with that topic.

johnblanker

Explorer
Perhaps I didn't give Windows enough time to "refresh" for the new shares. I also didn't log off/on after making changes. Not sure if that's even necessary. That video worked for me as opposed to going in blind and checking options that "seem" to make sense from reading the manual. That never really worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.