data-rot and filesystems

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnblanker

Explorer
Thanks for the heads up on the red drives. From what I read on this forum, over, and over, and over again is the ECC ram is paramount when it comes to the data integrity of ZFS. It sounds like it would be pointless to use freeNAS and zfs with non-ECC ram.

johnblanker

Explorer
I saw very expensive ram on newegg looking at "desktop" class memory with ECC. Perhaps that is what he bought. Or maybe it was when the prices for ram went up a while back. It seems that it is around $50-60 per 8GB stick.

EDIT: that is $240 for 32GB :confused:

mattbbpl

Patron
Thanks for the heads up on the red drives. From what I read on this forum, over, and over, and over again is the ECC ram is paramount when it comes to the data integrity of ZFS. It sounds like it would be pointless to use freeNAS and zfs with non-ECC ram.
Yeah. It's just sort of pointless to go without ECC as the price difference for me was like $20 for 32 GB of RAM. For the price of a couple burgers, I can take advantage of the strengths the system is designed for as well as avoid the potential pitfalls it creates without it (such as invalid metadata or destroying data during a scrub). It's just such a stilted risk vs. reward proposition that I can't fathom not taking it if the other hardware you're using supports it.

Zorin1

Dabbler
Where/Who did you buy the memory from? $240.00 sounds a bit high, but either way it is cheaper than losing data.

I bought it directly from crucial since they had the lowest price. I wanted to find memory that we certified for the motherboard that I had. Which left the options pretty small.

Zorin1

Dabbler
Why would you regret buying ECC RAM? The price difference between ECC and non-ECC is very minor.

ECC is twice the money for non-ECC. It would be different if this was for a business use but for personal use, not sure if it really matters. How often does your computer have issues with memory? It is not using ECC should you not be scared that your word document or email might get corrupted. :)

Most people, I would guess are using FreeNas for personal use. Anyway, I bought ECC memory, but not, maybe I should not have. Oh well it is done now.

danb35

Hall of Famer
ECC is twice the money for non-ECC.
Crucial 8 GB non-ECC starts at $35/stick. Crucial 8 GB ECC starts at $57/stick. That's a difference of $22/stick, or 67% more expensive. While the percentage is higher than I expected, the dollar difference is still negligible, and it still isn't "twice the money".

JDCynical

Contributor
How often does your computer have issues with memory?
Considering I had a 'known good' stick of RAM go bad a while ago in one of my desktops that had been working perfectly for over a year (no warning, just suddenly started getting kernel panics), more often than one might think. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.