Introduction: Monkey_Demon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
Hi,

After using a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro for several years, I have to migrate to another system. This is because Plex is one of the main reasons I have a NAS, and Plex no longer supports the ReadyNAS. Some people have kludged the ReadyNAS system to make it run Netgear's newer operating system, but I was never particularly happy with the OS on the ReadyNAS, and besides I wanted more horsepower and room for expansion.

So I just ordered most of the parts for my new system. Although I have lots of computer experience, this will be the first computer I've ever built. Here is the configuration:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5
MB: Supermicro X11SSH-F
RAM: Crucial CT2K8G4WFS824A in a 2x8 kit for 16GB (but see * below)
SSD: Adata Premier SP600NS34 M.2 2242 128 GB SATA 3 -- for OS, Swap space, and apps
HD: 3 x WD Red 4TB in RAID 5 configuration
Case: Rosewill RSV-L4000
PS: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2

* I just learned the RAM is on back order. Supermicro's list of compatible RAM is minimal, so I'm having trouble figuring out what other matched-pair kits of 2x8GB are compatible.​

In any case, I've learned a great deal by lurking on this list, and now that I've signed up I'm looking forward to being a more active participant.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

skyline65

Explorer
I would have at least 4xWD Red 4TB in Raid-Z2

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The os drive is for os only, nothing else can be installed on it. Applications get installed into jails which live in your pool.

Have you read the noob guide along with the other threads in the recommended reading in my signature.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
@Monkey_Demon
In regards to your RAM, I just thought I'd mention that I run a Skylake board with one stick
of RAM (16GB) without issue, and the cost is close to the same for the 2 x 8GB kit.
I have not checked recently but Samsung has a model that works, see my config in my signature
for the exact model number.
Welcome to the Forum!

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
Hi Jailer,

Two things.

By "apps" I mean things like Plex. This server is going to be used for only a few purposes: media service and storage, WebDAV service to support remote access and file storage (mostly of pdf's, and perhaps as a place for backups. Media service mainly will involve Plex, Kodi, and perhaps DLNA access. File storage will just use WebDAV. And backups will use the client's backup software and whatever compatible network protocols it has. I've also found that some utility apps can be handy, although these usually come built in on *nix-based systems. But, for example, even though Android is *nix based, I've installed a file-explorer app on all my Amazon Fire TV devices (which are Android-based, and Android is *nix based but stripped down).

I just learned that this MB does not support SATA in its M.2 slot. So I don't think the ADATA drive will work. Now I'm looking at an Intel 600p Series 128GB drive instead.

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
Sweet,

Can the OS drive be partitioned?

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
@Monkey_Demon
In regards to your RAM, I just thought I'd mention that I run a Skylake board with one stick
of RAM (16GB) without issue, and the cost is close to the same for the 2 x 8GB kit.
I have not checked recently but Samsung has a model that works, see my config in my signature
for the exact model number.
Welcome to the Forum!

I thought 2x8 would take advantage of 2 channels and therefore yield slightly better performance.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
By "apps" I mean things like Plex.
Don't do that. The OS drive is for the OS only, use jails for your installed apps.

A well planned pool will be more than enough performance wise for Plex and other things. If you still doubt that add a SSD (or pair for redundency) for your jails pool.

Stux

MVP
I thought 2x8 would take advantage of 2 channels and therefore yield slightly better performance.

With ZFS, it's more important to not limit yourself to 32GB (4x8) when your mobo/CPU support 64GB.

Cancel the back order and grab the 16GB stick. One day when you want 32GB then you'll get a performance upgrade too ;)

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
You are correct, for intensive applications such as transcoding video, you would see a very noticeable difference with
a dual channel config.

The X11 platform's (Skylake) has the larger capacity of 64GB total RAM, it makes more sense (at least to me) to use
the largest available size of modual for each slot. At the approx. same cost (2 x 8GB vs. 1 x 16GB) I'm willing to put up with a
slightly lower performance until I can afford a second 16GB modual, which bumps my capacity to 32GB with two slots left over
for future expansion.

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
OK. I can see the performance increasing by bumping memory up to 32GB. But I believe that dual channels require matched pairs, so two 16GB sticks bought separately would not give the same performance as two bought as a kit.

Similarly, two sets of matched 8GB (= 2 x 2 x 8 = 32 GB) would outperform two separate 16GB sticks (=32GB).

The wise choice still might be to purchase 1 16GB stick now, but the choice is not between six of one and a half-dozen of the other.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
But I believe that dual channels require matched pairs, so two 16GB sticks bought separately would not give the same performance as two bought as a kit.
If your motherboard supports "dual channel" memory then only matching pairs will run in dual channel mode. Matching pairs
is a phrase that is only used to describe identical moduals, it does not mean the moduals have to be purchased in a "kit" in
order to function in dual channel mode.

Stux

MVP
Definition of matching might be looser than you think too.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
OK. I can see the performance increasing by bumping memory up to 32GB. But I believe that dual channels require matched pairs, so two 16GB sticks bought separately would not give the same performance as two bought as a kit.

Similarly, two sets of matched 8GB (= 2 x 2 x 8 = 32 GB) would outperform two separate 16GB sticks (=32GB).

The wise choice still might be to purchase 1 16GB stick now, but the choice is not between six of one and a half-dozen of the other.
It doesn't matter of they come in a "kit" or not. Memory is memory as long as it's the same. And even if it's not the same it probably doesn't matter. Set yourself up to max your memory, anything else would be a poor choice. I would also love to hear how you test the performance of your memory and how it affects your overall system. Hint: memory performance has very little impact on real performance.

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
It doesn't matter of they come in a "kit" or not. Memory is memory as long as it's the same. And even if it's not the same it probably doesn't matter. Set yourself up to max your memory, anything else would be a poor choice. I would also love to hear how you test the performance of your memory and how it affects your overall system. Hint: memory performance has very little impact on real performance.

As I understand it, you are technically correct. The modules do not have to come together in a kit. BUT, they do have to be similar enough to work properly together. And within the range of normal tolerances there's no assurance that two modules with the same part number from the same manufacturer will be acceptably close. Otherwise, manufacturers wouldn't bother packaging modules together in pairs. They package pairs of modules together because they test them before doing so to ensure the pair will work properly together.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And within the range of normal tolerances there's no assurance that two modules with the same part number from the same manufacturer will be acceptably close.
This hasn't been true for a very long time. Over a decade.

If it's in spec, it will work with any other equivalent DIMM which is also in spec. If it isn't in spec, RMA it.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
As I understand it, you are technically correct. The modules do not have to come together in a kit. BUT, they do have to be similar enough to work properly together. And within the range of normal tolerances there's no assurance that two modules with the same part number from the same manufacturer will be acceptably close. Otherwise, manufacturers wouldn't bother packaging modules together in pairs. They package pairs of modules together because they test them before doing so to ensure the pair will work properly together.
There is no extra testing for modules that come in a package. They are all the same memory sticks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.