Intel X540 Virtual Function driver not loaded

Suril

Cadet
I'm testing an installation of TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1 running as a VM under Hyper-V on Windows Server 2022.

PCI passthrough via DDA works nicely for the HBAs and NVMe devices, and I've been impressed with the performance of the whole system.

One thing that hasn't worked for me is SRIOV with an Intel X540 10Gb network adapter. The 'X540 Virtual Function' device is detected as per the below logs but a driver for it isn't loaded:

Code:
dmesg

pcib1: <Hyper-V PCI Express Pass Through> on vmbus0
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: <network, ethernet> at device 2.0 (no driver attached)

pciconf -lv

none0@pci1:0:2:0:       class=0x020000 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x1530 subvendor=0x0000 subdevice=0x0000
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'X540 Virtual Function'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

This device appears to be supported in the ixgbe driver - ref https://github.com/truenas/os/blob/truenas/13-stable/sys/dev/ixgbe/ixgbe_type.h & https://github.com/truenas/os/blob/truenas/13-stable/sys/dev/ixgbe/if_ixv.c

Am I correct in assuming that the above driver is included in the kernel and I shouldn't need to load extra modules etc?

I've tried enabling SRIOV with a 10/25Gb Mellanox CX4-LX NIC and that worked immediately without any additional config.

Cheers

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd file a bug report, the VF part of ixgbe might not have been included in TrueNAS' build.

Suril

Cadet
Thanks - I'll do that. I just switched my host system OS to ESXi to compare the TrueNAS VM performance but will switch back to Hyper-V in the weekend as they seem to perform about the same.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks - I'll do that. I just switched my host system OS to ESXi to compare the TrueNAS VM performance but will switch back to Hyper-V in the weekend as they seem to perform about the same.

So Microsoft finally shows up at the party, a decade late and a dollar short...? Heh.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
FreeBSD has been supported for a while on Hyper-V

I'm aware of that, but it is a long distance going from "OS has been supported" to "Is able to successfully run a complicated VM with specific requirements for PCIe passthru and a very demanding set of CPU, memory, and networking requirements."

The Proxmox folks have been working on this for a number of years and only in the last few years seem to have gotten it to be solid for many users. It's weird to me that Microsoft, one of the largest tech organizations on the planet, has taken so long and still isn't really at a stable point for TrueNAS.