Installation Display issue on 12th Gen Intel (i3-12100)

btbutts

Cadet
Whilst attempting to install TrueNAS CORE v13-U4 on my LGA1700 i3-12100 based system, I too have gotten the 'blank screen' issue after the initial post, and boot of the USB installer (flashed via Etcher). The installer loads, I select #1 to boot into the installer wizard and unfortunately, all I get is a blank screen, except for the flashing cursor at the top-left corner of the screen.

There have also been other recent reports of this on other intel hardware dating back to the 9th/10th Gen intel platforms, those using the i915kms driver. These posts are:
Cant install on LGA 1200 | TrueNAS Community
TrueNAS Scale - Black screen on boot | TrueNAS Community. (this one is for SCALE)

The OP @Dwight Turner of the first post in the TrueNAS forum above had included a couple screenshots showing this quite well.

What I noticed though is that this is occurring at the bootloader, before the OS image has loaded so the fixes outlined in those posts weren't working for me. I thought well maybe I can do the unreccomended thing of building my own ISO installer using the original from source, and after a lot of work getting that to work, I realized after trying to install it that doing so would never work because the TrueNAS installer found my installation source to be corrupt, as a result of the changes and repacking of the hybrid-ISO.

So that said, I decided to try installing via #2, serial. Well this was quite easy and worked well. Interestingly, unlike when I selected #1 in the installer for the display driver install method, using #2 for serial still displayed the console output on the display, as I could see all the modules that were loading along the way. The interactive installer wizard still only displayed via my serial connection, but this leads me to believe that this issue is less of a display driver issue, and more of an issue with how TrueNAS is displaying content on systems using newer intel built-in graphics (Intel HD/UHD Graphics).

Then, odd enough, I thought that post install, I would need to make the changes as outlined in the workarounds from the forum posts above. Nope. Post-install, TrueNAS booted normally, and I can see all the typical menu options for initial system config. Unless I'm thinking about this entirely wrong, which is possible, this kind of confirms my thought process that there is not a display driver issue, but rather a display output issue.

Any thoughts?

I needed to disable the serial port in the bios to correct this issue.
The serial version of the pfSense installer does the same thing.

I think I read somewhere that it is a bug that sends the output to the serial port.

boredandlazy

Dabbler
I have this issue on a B760 board with a 13700 CPU with the current stable 13.05, but I tried 13.1 and the installer starts as expected.

MikeTrainer

Dabbler
Had this issue with a hw “upgrade” using 12th gen LGA 1700 Intel Core I-3 12100 CPU and Asus Prime H610I plus D4 mini ITX Motherboard and 16gb DDR4 ram. The latest stable TrueNAS 13 installer would hang with a black screen and white cursor block in upper left. I tried various 2.0 USB sticks flashed with Balena etcher and even a dvd iso image with same results.

However, I was able to get FreeBSD installer to boot and install from USB stick (using safe mode) so then it occurred to me to try using the now obsolete FreeNAS 11.3 installer ISO Image. That installed like a champ! Then from the web GUi I was able to log in and update to TrueNAS 12.0 release using a manual load of the tar file. From there I was given the option to update again to the latest 13 stable release. I then uploaded my saved config file and all was ducky. hope his helps someone.

jmejia

Cadet
I am having this same issue with an Asus prime H610I-plus d4 and an 12th gen i3-12100 as well. I will try the route @MikeTrainer recommends.