Issue detecting drives for install

BradTheGeek

Dabbler
It has been a while since I have worked with TrueNAS, and I feel like I am missing something simple. I am trying to setup TrueNAS core on a device I built as follows:

AM4 mobo (MSI x370 gaming plus) and Ryzen 1700x CPU
16GB RAM
GTX 1050
add-in broadcom 4 port ethernet card.

I have a couple of SAS controllers, but Ihav enot gotten that far yet. Currently I have 2 SATA SSDs (256GB Samsungs) attached to the motherboard SATA ports. My intent was to use these in RAID1 (either in BIOS hardware mode) or in software mode from within TrueNAS for storing the OS. I was going to add SAS/HBA and storage drives later.

When I attempt to install TrueNAS it finds no drives. I have had the drives configured the following ways:
  • RAID 1 array configured in BIOS, confirmed accessible to a Windows installer.
  • RAID 1 array configured in BIOS, confirmed accessible to a Windows installer. Wiped and with a single exFAT partition
  • Single 256GB drive, BIOS in AHCI mode I have not used DBAN or anything on it so there could be old hidden RAID metadata.
In none of these scenarios will the TrueNAS installer find a target disk.

I have done a fair amount of googling these forums and reddit, and cannot figure out what simple thing I am missing.

BradTheGeek

Dabbler
I solved it. First I tried with Scale instead of core, as I am a bit more familiar with GNU/Linux than BSD. Still did not work.

Then I checked BIOS again. For whatever reason (glitch, my own stupidity) the change from RAID to AHCI had not saved. Now with it actually in AHCI mode, I am progressing.