Struggling to install

125Newuser

Cadet
I’m completely new to all of this and don’t consider myself to having much knowledge with TrueNAS. However, to build my own Nas using an i3-12100, Msi pro b760m-p motherboard. 500GB nvme and 2x 4tb Seagate nas hard drives.
Used a usb drive with the truenas installer on it and got through to the installer menu.
After it came up as complete and successful, it instructed me to take the usb drive out, which I did and subsequently got the error message shown below. This then stopped the installer from working and had to just restart the pc.
I then tried removing the usb during the reboot (after the installing process). It then went straight to the BIOS menu.
Thirdly I tried leaving the usb in but spamming the boot drive key during the reboot (after another install). It then gave me two options of the usb and the nvme. If I clicked the nvme drive it went to a black screen then went back to the boot menu with only the option of going to the bios menu.
I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, which is probably quite a basic fix, just need some pointers. Thanks

Ps. Sorry if I got any terminology wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpeg
    IMG_0460.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 54

artlessknave

Wizard
this is a very poor choice of motherboard to use with truenas, in particular the realtek NIC is highly likely to suck with CORE, if it works at all. SCALE *might* work better with it, as linux has more drives for crap hardware, but freebsd generally refuses to work on drivers that the manufacturer of the hardware doesnt support opensrouce drivers for and are known to be subpar at best. that dev work is focused on known good hardware generally.

that is not exactly an error in the screenshot; it is merely telling you the usb was removed. that might break the installer, but has no effect on the install. you can just power it off, remove the USB and turn it on if you want to be "Safe"

iirc nvme can only boot EFI; did you install it as bios/CSM or EFI, and did you configure your EFI to boot it? some boards do not support booting from NVME at all, but the fact it shows up in the list is indicative of it at least being supported

125Newuser

Cadet
I have tried with both with UEFI and bios. Neither seemed to work.
Is it worth tried with the current hardware or consider getting different parts?

artlessknave

Wizard
I have tried with both with UEFI and bios. Neither seemed to work.
Is it worth tried with the current hardware or consider getting different parts?
different parts, especially since it's not working. you can get older, but supported, used server hardware. an example that tends to be very cheap from ebay: x9scm + 16-32GB RAM + e3-1230v2. should be in the 200-300$ range for a working system. will do 6 drives or can add a 50$ HBA for lots more.
the x9 are the oldest one should go; get one with "-f" for IPMI.