Importing a ZFS Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Planning on merging two FreeNAS systems into one. The question I have is, can I power down my secondary NAS, pull the drives out (raidZ1) and put them in my other freeNAS while it's still powered on and import the pool. Or should I power down both systems, move the drives over and power main NAS back up then import the pool?

I have a feeling I should just power down both systems, but I don't want to power down both ESXi hosts that are running off my main NAS. (laziness at it's best)

Thank you in advance!

You can call me a wimp, but I would power them both down. The disaster potential is IMHO pretty high if you bump the wrong thing while it is running, and you could create a pretty big mess.

Redcoat

MVP
Yes, I'd power them both down, too. I would expect not to have to import the pool on the "new" drives. Each time I have moved drives as you intend the pool on them has shown up on boot without me having to do anything.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Powering down is always safer. However, if the hardware on both systems supports hot swap, it should be safe to do what you're describing.

Both systems do support hot swap (supermicro systems). That being said, I think I'll just power them both down and play it safe.

pro lamer

Guru
Excuse my obvious and noob's comment, I don't want to offend you (by suggesting you may need this advise) but I just can't stop myself from posting it: I assume you are aware that you may need (and correct me if I am wrong) differently named pools...

Sent from my mobile phone.

kdragon75

Wizard
Excuse my obvious and noob's comment, I don't want to offend you (by suggesting you may need this advise) but I just can't stop myself from posting it: I assume you are aware that you may need (and correct me if I am wrong) differently named pools...

Sent from my mobile phone.
You are correct. Pols can not have the same name on one system. It's easy to rename if needed though.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Pols can not have the same name on one system.
They can, actually, though it's near-guaranteed to be confusing. Obviously they'd need different mount points.

Status
Not open for further replies.