Cannot import ZFS pool after power loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinoza813

Cadet
Hello all,

I have been running NAS4Free 9.1.0.1.847 for about 6 months now. I am attempting to use FreeNAS 9.1.0 (I chose this version because I know it supports ZFS V28, which is the version my pool uses) to troubleshoot my problem and intend to move to FreeNAS permanently once it is (hopefully) resolved. I know I'm asking a lot coming from NAS4Free, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, one of my main motivations for the switch is that FreeNAS has much better documentation than NAS4Free.

The problem:
I have 4 4TB drives encrypted in RAIDZ2. The NAS is on an UPS, however the power cable came unplugged while moving some other cabling around, causing a power loss. Unfortunately, this may have been while a windows system was writing a large file to the NAS (I'm not sure). Now, I can attach the encrypted drives, but I cannot import the zpool. When I try to import the zpool in command line, it reports no such pool is available.

I have tried importing the pool in 3 environments using the command line: NAS4Free 9.1.0.1.847, FreeBSD 9.2 and FreeNAS 9.1.0.

All three give the same result:
Code:
root@:~ # geli attach /dev/ada1
enter passphrase:
GEOM_ELI: Device ada1.eli created.
GEOM_ELI: Encryption AES-XTS 128
GEOM_ELI:        Crypto: software

Attaching all 4 drives is successful

Code:
root@:~ # zpool import pool16tb
cannot import 'pool16tb': no such pool available

root@:~ # zpool import pool16tb -f
cannot import 'pool16tb': no such pool available

root@:~ # zpool import
no pools available to import

root@:~ # zpool import -f

root@:~ # zpool import -fF

But I cannot import the pool.

Should I try destroying the pool? I would then import with:
Code:
root@:~ # zpool import -fD

Again, sorry for posting what is basically a NAS4Free problem in the FreeNAS forum, but I'm just looking for anyone who can help. Thank you in advance.

Supermicro X9SCM
Intel Xeon CPU E3-1220 3.1GHz
16 GB memory
4x4TB RAIDZ2

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If your pool was created as an encrypted pool in NAS4Free you will NOT get good support here. We have no idea how NAS4Free does things. And naturally, we do not support NAS4Free at all here.

There is no "standardized" encryption with ZFS. Encrypted pools on FreeNAS aren't compatible with other OSes(except maybe FreeBSD if you know what you are doing).

Spinoza813

Cadet
Thanks cyberjock - I understand. Just grasping at straws here. Looks like I'll be starting fresh with FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.