Storage Pool Lost - Help!

NAD15

Cadet
Hi,

Following some building work, our NAS was power cut several times and it has not taken it well...

The configuration is 4 1TB drives with a RAIDZ setup, so around 2.8TB usable in total.
On looking at the FreeNAS 11 interface, the pool was missing entirely. When trying to import this I could import the pool, but the imported pool only shows 900GB of space and when digging further... only one disk is in use!

When doing gpart show /dev/ada0 I can see 4 partitions, including the freebsd-zfs.
When running the same command on ada1, ada2 and ada3 I am getting the error "No such geom: /dev/adaX"

The other 3 disks (ada1-3) are still showing in Storage -> Disks but as 'unused'. SMART reporting doesnt show anything broken.
How should I go about importing the other 3 disks into the pool to get access to my data again?

Thanks for any advice in advanced.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
When trying to import this I could import the pool, but the imported pool only shows 900GB of space and when digging further... only one disk is in use!

Did this pool import through the webUI or did you pass any command-line parameters (such as "force pool mounting"?)

With this pool imported, please post the output of zpool status in CODE tags. If it is not imported then please use zdb -U /data/zfs/zpool.cache -eCC yourpoolname

A badly degraded pool should not import - if you have force-mounted a broken pool that may do more harm than good.

NAD15

Cadet
Thanks for the reply!

It was imported through the WebUI, there was no errors that popped up and I didnt hve to force anything that I know of?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Curious, a single-disk pool isn't part of a RAIDZ. Can you post the "zpool status" output, or the "zdb" output, along with your system hardware specifications:

- Processor
- Memory (amount/speed)
- Motherboard
- Disk controller (SATA onboard vs HBA vs "please don't say RAID card")

NAD15

Cadet
I will get on to it again first thing tomorrow!

I remember zpool status showing only one GUID, which was the first disk in the array.

The server itself is a HP Microserver, onboard AHCI controller, 8GB RAM. Not using the HP Smart Array, just standard SATA mode

NAD15

Cadet
Code:
zpool status
pool:     DataPool
state:     ONLINE
status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
        the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
        the features. See zpool-features(7) for details.
scan:     scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 02:44:50 with 0 errors on Thu Jun 25 09:07:47 2020
config:    NAME                        STATE        READ    WRITE
        DataPool                    ONLINE        0        0
          gptid/xxxxxxxxxxxxx        ONLINE        0        0

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Your "DataPool" looks healthy albeit only being a single disk. You're sure there isn't another pool in play here?

Try zdb -U /data/zfs/zpool.cache -eCC without specifying any pool names, and see if it will find another pool, or zdb -l /dev/adaX to see if it finds labels on your unassigned disks.

NAD15

Cadet
When running the zdb -l command on all disks I get getting

LABEL 0
failed to unpack label 0
LABEL 1
failed to unpack label 1

Am i doing something wrong?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
It should find at least one label on the disk. Maybe you need to target a partition (/dev/ada1p2) but if gpart didn't show any partitions then you've got other issues going on. Does zdb -U /data/zfs/zpool.cache -eCC give you anything? (Please use the CODE tags in post formatting for that output as readability will be difficult otherwise.)

Is it possible the power outage caused your BIOS to somehow flip a setting and made your B120i flip back to "RAID" mode rather than AHCI?