I/O activity crashes the GUI, Jails and OpenSSH, OS continues to run

Hello all,

I have a rather strange issue with my build of TrueNAS, whenever i try and copy at least 40 gb of files to TrueNAS via SMB it crashes the GUI, the Jails and i lose SSH access. Connecting via a monitor and keyboard just looks like it still works with no issues. Tried looking in /var/log, however there is nothing that indicates an error there.

Build Config:
Ryzen 2700
ASUS Prime B450 Plus
16 GB Ram
3 HGST Drives 3TB
1 internal PCI ssd where the OS is installed

Initially i thought that ZFS Cache would just eat all the ram like the GUI reports, but going in and checking with the included htop tool the ram usage never really exceeds 10Gb.

How could I go further with this issues and figure it out? (Total noob at FreeBSD, i know my Linux, but not BSD).

Edit: after some more trial and error i discovered that the qBittorrent jail would cause the whole system to just kill all processes. This would happen as soon as the program would start doing I/O then it would crash everything. I hold like 20-30 gb of various images with it and as soon it starts to redownload everything it goes awry. I guess since this is not an official plugin, there would no support here?

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hello all,

I have a rather strange issue with my build of TrueNAS, whenever i try and copy at least 40 gb of files to TrueNAS via SMB it crashes the GUI, the Jails and i lose SSH access. Connecting via a monitor and keyboard just looks like it still works with no issues. Tried looking in /var/log, however there is nothing that indicates an error there.

Build Config:
Ryzen 2700
ASUS Prime B450 Plus
16 GB Ram
3 HGST Drives 3TB
1 internal PCI ssd where the OS is installed

Initially i thought that ZFS Cache would just eat all the ram like the GUI reports, but going in and checking with the included htop tool the ram usage never really exceeds 10Gb.

How could I go further with this issues and figure it out? (Total noob at FreeBSD, i know my Linux, but not BSD).

Edit: after some more trial and error i discovered that the qBittorrent jail would cause the whole system to just kill all processes. This would happen as soon as the program would start doing I/O then it would crash everything. I hold like 20-30 gb of various images with it and as soon it starts to redownload everything it goes awry. I guess since this is not an official plugin, there would no support here?
Someone should help with the qbittorrent issue. Have you searched to see if anyone else has problems? At this point it's just a freebsd problem, so search the entire internet not just freenas.

You could also try a different client like transmission if you wanted. Before that though I would make sure you have the b latest version of qbittorrent.

Alecmascot

Guru
I think this is a Ryzen CPU issue:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
All powersaving features are disabled, i found a guide when i was building this server that said this, so i just went in and disabled all of them.
BIOS is up to date.
It seems like the qbittorrent jail was just crashing everything for some reason, it would also eat like 1GB of ram which is a lot!
After getting rid of that jail, i just hit it with 2 TB of data just to see what would happen. It took it all with no issues saturating the 1GB band it had :oops: at almost all times!
So i think it's either a bug in the jails system, i don't think it's normal that one jail affects everything, then what is the purpose of jails then if it still crashes everything?
I now run a VM with ruTorrent with an NFS share. It works amazingly!

Someone should help with the qbittorrent issue. Have you searched to see if anyone else has problems? At this point it's just a freebsd problem, so search the entire internet not just freenas.

You could also try a different client like transmission if you wanted. Before that though I would make sure you have the b latest version of qbittorrent.
I've exhausted all the resources i could find :( It looks like it's just this particular jail that has issues though.

So i had the server close to a monitor so i can watch it and after some testing it did not crash once. All well and good, moved it to it's original place... aaaand it started crashing again. What was different was the outlet and a Raspberry PI with a wi-fi usb card on top.
I have unplugged the Raspberry and i'm running crash free. I think that might have been it. Still doing transfers back and forth to make it crash...

The server still crashed recently and by crash i mean loss of network of GUI, the os still runs.
The server was runing Samba and NFS shares and a virtual machine. No jails this time. Is there any place where i can find the logs of the GUI? I will forcibly reboot but this is not ideal ...