I need TrueNAS/FreeNas IP address setup help

Redcoat

MVP
Okay, solved. It was one of the ethernet over power line boxes that went bad. Luckily I had a wireless access point I could set up. I can now access the NAS TrueNAS from my windows machine using the IP address that Redcoat helped me with.
Be that as it may, I am now looking at the TrueNAS Core Dashboard form my Windows computer.
I'm sure I will have other questions in the future.

A big thanks to everyone especially Redcoat for all the assistance.
Well done.
Glad you are whole and with us!

dedgar

Dabbler
I don't have a hard drive installed that I will store everything on at the moment. Just the M2 drive that TrueNAS is installed on. The case I currently have is really poorly laid out. A new one is on its way with much better layout for drives.

dedgar

Dabbler
Ok, new case arrived and everything has been installed. And now I can't access it again from my main computer.

Redcoat

MVP
Same mobo, same PSU, same addon-on cards, same drives, same cables? Assuming all yes, my guess is one or more of: incorrect wiring, improperly seated adapters, or, less obvious, grounding of the mainboard via a case standoff or similar.

What have you disconnected from the mainboard so far in an attempt to isolate the problem? What is actually connected to it? What is new besides the case?

Telling us only "it doesn't work now" won't get us very far to help you.

dedgar

Dabbler
Everything is exactly the same except for the case. Same cables, power supply, mobo, drives, etc. Ethernet cable plugged into the same port on the switch. NIC is fully seated in its slot. I used every standoff I could. There was only one spot in the case where a standoff did not match the hole in the motherboard. All cables are fully seated at both ends.
When it boots and gets to the console I even have the same IP address as before.
When I try to access it from another computer it times out.

Redcoat

MVP
OK, so it sounds like it's likely physically OK.

Last time when it timed out on you you did not have a network connection from your NAS to the gateway.

Can you ping 192,168.1.1 (your gateway) from the shell accessed from Console Menu choice #9 just as we went through it the last time?

Can you ping the gateway from the computer you are using as a client?

dedgar

Dabbler
No host.

Redcoat

MVP
So the network connection between your NAS box and the gateway seems to be down again?

dedgar

Dabbler
Looks like it is. You're gonna have to run me through the setup again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

dedgar

Dabbler
I Don't know what just took place. I rebooted and there is now a different IP address under the console. I can access the NAS with that new address.

dedgar

Dabbler
What is the default username again. I wrote it down but now can't find it. I remember the password.

dedgar

Dabbler
Just remembered the name. I think I'm losing it at times. Sometimers syndrome. Sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't.

Redcoat

MVP
root is the only user who can access the GUI

dedgar

Dabbler
2 laptops, 3 desktops and now the NAS. I need to write down user names and passwords for them all.
I wonder why the IP address changed? May never find out. At least I can access it. Now to figure out how to set up storage. I want to use the NAS to do backups of all the computers in a secure spot. I've had to rebuild the OS's from scratch too many times. Image them all to the NAS is what I'm thinking to do.

Redcoat

MVP
My guess is your DHCP server in your router just handed out another IP address. Did you by chance connect your network cable to a different ethernet port of your new NIC than the one you used for last week's exercise?

dedgar

Dabbler
There's only one port on the NIC. I left the cable plugged into the same port on the switch when I took everything out of the other case.

Redcoat

MVP
There's only one port on the NIC. I left the cable plugged into the same port on the switch when I took everything out of the other case.
OK. so not that as a reason, then.