I need to understand what to do with my Plex plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrunelli87

Explorer
Hi guys,
A couple of years ago I installed a Plex plugin on my Freenas 9.10 (and kept it always updated). After the last FreeNas update to 11.6-U6, I cannot update the plugin anymore, as it is stuck to 1.12.XX (while it should be 1.13.XX). After the last Plex app update on FireTV, I cannot see my media anymore as Fire TV says that the server application is not up-to-date (yes, I've managed to roll-back to the old app, but still I want to be sure that I'll be able to use the new versions of the apps in the future)
So, I tried to update it through SSH in the same way I've always succesfully done, but the plugin just does not update (the system always tells me that everything is updated, but still, i'm stuck at 1.12.XX version of the plugin). I've read on the internet that plugins and warden jails are done on Freenas, but still I cannot understand what should I do to keep updating Plex on my server. I've read a lot of stuff on the different forums, but still I cannot understand what my options are.

So, being a real newbie I've got some stupid questions for you guys:

1. Is there some sort of tutorial that explains how to just keep my plugin updated with FN 11.1-U6 and 11.2?
2. Sould I just wait the Freenas 11.2 stable, update to the new system and then migrate my warden jail into a new iocage jail?

Please help me to clarify on what should I do as next steps, as all this fuss about plex plugins not updating that is spreading on the Internet is really puzzling me.

Thanks
*M*

bmess

Dabbler
This same situation happened to me last weekend and I made a small project out of it.

1) I created a small Linux VM on the FreeNAS box to act as the host of my new Plex
2) I used the official Plex Docker container (https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker) on said Linux VM. This is so I can add other services as containers later, or just easily keep this one up to date.
3) I created an NFS mount on the Linux VM back to my FreeNAS box.
4) Within docker I set a volume on the container to :ro flag so only something outside of the container can make changes on the volume. This is to prevent accidental deletion. This also means I must login to delete a file, and I wanted that.
5) I used http://plex.tv/claim to generate a unique ID for me, following the instructions on their Docker page, running in bridged networking mode.
6) I now enjoy the latest version of plex. To upgrade anything I can simply call docker pull plexinc/pms-docker and stop/start the container.

If I were going to spend more time on the project I'd probably move everything to a proper docker compose file, or use something like Nomad to run the container.

mbrunelli87

Explorer
This same situation happened to me last weekend and I made a small project out of it.

1) I created a small Linux VM on the FreeNAS box to act as the host of my new Plex
2) I used the official Plex Docker container (https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker) on said Linux VM. This is so I can add other services as containers later, or just easily keep this one up to date.
3) I created an NFS mount on the Linux VM back to my FreeNAS box.
4) Within docker I set a volume on the container to :ro flag so only something outside of the container can make changes on the volume. This is to prevent accidental deletion. This also means I must login to delete a file, and I wanted that.
5) I used http://plex.tv/claim to generate a unique ID for me, following the instructions on their Docker page, running in bridged networking mode.
6) I now enjoy the latest version of plex. To upgrade anything I can simply call docker pull plexinc/pms-docker and stop/start the container.

If I were going to spend more time on the project I'd probably move everything to a proper docker compose file, or use something like Nomad to run the container.

Hey, thanks for helping.
My first comment is "wow". Being a newbie, I think it's a little bit too high-level as a tutorial. Are there some kind of instruction that I can use to do what you're advising? Also, setting up a Linux VM requires resources right? I wonder if this would undermine the performance of my NAS

I was also wondering if it's possible to 1) create a new jail/ iocage with an updated version of PMS, 2) point the jail at the media datasets of the NAS 3) import the files with all the metadata from the old pluginjail 4) stop the old PMS pluginjail, delete it, and start with the new

bmess

Dabbler
You can follow the https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker README to get it running, but it won't instruct you on installing Docker on a Linux machine.

It is very possible to do exactly that, but it would be up to you to install the PMS binary.
Essentially that's what the container is doing, but it's already built so you just need to point it to your config data.

garm

Wizard
Or just create a iocage jail and run pkg install plexmediaserver

vikozo6

Patron
@garm could you tell/teache me what is a create a iocage jail ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.