Merge old warden Plex with iocage Plex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradox

Cadet
I was previously on Freenas 11.1 U6 and recently updated to Freenas 11.2 RC1. With the new iocage my previous Plex Media Server plugin and jail was no longer recognized, so I installed the new Plex plugin for iocage. Somehow this managed to load my old Plex database and the media server seems fully functional. But the whole database is still located in the old plugin directory. Also I can't control the still existing datamounts for this old plugin jail in the GUI (I didn't mount them to the new jail). They are listed when I type 'mount' in the CLI though.

So is there a way to just migrate my old database to the new plugin directory in order to have better control? Like just copy everything from A to B? Unfortunately the iocage folder structure doesnt have the var/db/plexdata folder present in warden, so I'm not shure where to paste it. There isn't any entry that mounts the old database to the new plugin directory when I type 'mount' in the CLI.

Paradox

Cadet
Actually I'm not shure wether it is the new iocage Plex running or my old plugin. When I stop the jail in the GUI, the media server still works, but when I stop the plugin in the GUI, the media server stops as well...

pschatz100

Guru
Since you have two Plex installations in different jails, I would think they might both be running, as old Warden jails continue to work in FreeNAS 11.2 but they don't show up in the new default gui. When you created the new Plex installation, did you reuse the IP address or assign a new one? If the two installations have different IP addresses, it ought to be simple to determine which one is running.

Paradox

Cadet
Since you have two Plex installations in different jails, I would think they might both be running, as old Warden jails continue to work in FreeNAS 11.2 but they don't show up in the new default gui. When you created the new Plex installation, did you reuse the IP address or assign a new one? If the two installations have different IP addresses, it ought to be simple to determine which one is running.
Yes, I figured out it was my old installation running in parallel. At the moment I copy the old database from jails/plexmediaserver/var/db/plexdata to the new jail iocage/jails/plex/usr/local/plexdata. Lets see if it works

EDIT: Seems to work so far. You just need to make shure to have the new mountpoints at the relative path in the new jail

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
As long as the two jails have different IP addresses, I would expect both to work just fine. Of course, you don't really need two instances running in parallel. When you are confident that the iocage version is running OK, you can stop the Plex service in the Warden jail and then stop the warden jail itself (if Plex is the only thing running in there.) Eventually, you might want to remove the Warden jail, but there is no hurry to do so.

If there are any problems migrating data to the new Plex installation, check the Plex forum. There is much advice about moving data from an old Plex installation to a newer one.

Status
Not open for further replies.