Explorer
Uh, yep. It's set to pins 1-2.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.24.49 AM.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Removed the jumper completely?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have this motherboard. I get no video to even start working in BIOS. It's just black, no matter what I do. What can I do?
I see a problem with the information you are providing. You say no video at all but you are able to enter the BIOS and see that? Is that via IPMI or is the monitor actually working?

Now I can't get it to go to the install screen at all.
I'm confused now, so something is happening? This is a huge departure from nothing is happening at all.

So lets start all over...
1) Does the computer perform POST testing? (where is shows the BIOS boot screen and generally tells you how much RAM you have and it might even show it testing the RAM)
2) Does the computer TRY to bootstrap from a CD/DVD or Hard Drive or Flash Media? (If yes then your computer is likely operational)
3) Try to bootstrap from MEMTEST86+ or The UBCD (then select memtest86+) If this works then the computer can bootstrap.
4) If you can run Memtest86+ at least one complete pass then your system might be okay. You should run the full suite of Burn-In Tests (RAM, CPU), but that doesn't mean TrueNAS will run on your hardware (I personally do not know, someone else might know).

What do you have presently plugged into the motherboard? While troubleshooting the motherboard remove all add-on cards. Minimize your system setup. Motherboard, RAM, CPU, Power Supply, CD/DVD drive (as the boot drive). I refrain from using USB Boot Drives for troubleshooting, it removes a possible problem from the equation.

Good Luck!

Netdewt

Explorer
Removed the jumper completely?
I have tried with and without the jumper installed. I can't get into BIOS anymore. It just sits on the "Supermicro" splash screen forever. It will boot into the shell if I don't hit delete for entering BIOS.

Netdewt

Explorer
I see a problem with the information you are providing. You say no video at all but you are able to enter the BIOS and see that? Is that via IPMI or is the monitor actually working?

I'm confused now, so something is happening? This is a huge departure from nothing is happening at all.

So lets start all over...
1) Does the computer perform POST testing? (where is shows the BIOS boot screen and generally tells you how much RAM you have and it might even show it testing the RAM)
2) Does the computer TRY to bootstrap from a CD/DVD or Hard Drive or Flash Media? (If yes then your computer is likely operational)
3) Try to bootstrap from MEMTEST86+ or The UBCD (then select memtest86+) If this works then the computer can bootstrap.
4) If you can run Memtest86+ at least one complete pass then your system might be okay. You should run the full suite of Burn-In Tests (RAM, CPU), but that doesn't mean TrueNAS will run on your hardware (I personally do not know, someone else might know).

What do you have presently plugged into the motherboard? While troubleshooting the motherboard remove all add-on cards. Minimize your system setup. Motherboard, RAM, CPU, Power Supply, CD/DVD drive (as the boot drive). I refrain from using USB Boot Drives for troubleshooting, it removes a possible problem from the equation.

Good Luck!

I got new RAM, and now things are happening, but not great things so far. I DO HAVE VIDEO.

1. Yes, but it is covered by the Supermicro splash screen.
2. Yes it did at first, now I can't get it to do that. Looking for BIOS reset options.
3-4. I'll try this if I can get anything to load.

Plugged in - 4 HDD and 1 SSD for boot disk. USB Flash drive. Keyboard. No cards.

Netdewt

Explorer
I unplugged the 4xHDD, BIOS then worked, and it looks like TrueNAS is installing.

IMG_5515.jpg

Last edited:

Netdewt

Explorer
I'm installed and into the OS, but I can't get it to boot with the HDDs installed. So maybe there is something in the BIOS boot priority I need to set.

ThreeDee

Guru

Netdewt

Explorer
I did know how to get to that page in the BIOS, but wasn't sure the proper order. Lots of unnecessary stuff in there. I think somehow it was not booting to the right drive when all HDDs were plugged in. I'm not totally sure.

I did finally get it to start up, I hacked my way through making an SMB share, and I'm starting to copy data. Still have to figure out the best way to make backups to an external drive on a client machine, and make sure I have permissions set up right.

Thanks all. That was a little rougher than I expected, but I've been in Mac world since 2001, so I'm rusty.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Lots of unnecessary stuff in there.
Depends on your needs.

I hope you get it all setup and running. The Mac world may be nice but the PC world can be a nightmare. Standardized is not very standard at times but that is what I'm use to.

Make sure you do the burn-in tests or you could be looking at a lot of grief in the near future.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Netdewt

Explorer
While I am running memtest, can someone point me to understanding how to set SMB ACLs the right way? I want them to look like the left, but currently they look like the right.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 10.25.33 AM.png

Yasir

Cadet
I have two questions regarding TrueNAS Core:
1. When I create a simple Home use NAS with TrueNAS Core, and create a simple pool of two hard drives then TrueNAS Core will automatically format those hard drives in ZFS ?
2. If my Home use TrueNAS Core bases NAS is up and running, somehow if my client side PC gets infected by Ransomeware or other severe virus and all my data encrypted or corrupt then my whole data on TrueNAS server will also be encrypt or corrupt or TrueNAS Core provides any type of security feature that can protect my data there to not be encrypt?
Please make me clear.
Thank you so much

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
1. When I create a simple Home use NAS with TrueNAS Core, and create a simple pool of two hard drives then TrueNAS Core will automatically format those hard drives in ZFS ?
Yes, of course. ZFS is the only option for storage in TrueNAS.

2. If my Home use TrueNAS Core bases NAS is up and running, somehow if my client side PC gets infected by Ransomeware or other severe virus and all my data encrypted or corrupt then my whole data on TrueNAS server will also be encrypt or corrupt or TrueNAS Core provides any type of security feature that can protect my data there to not be encrypt?
You can set up a snapshot schedule for your data in TrueNAS. In case of a ransomware infection you can rollback your NAS to any point in time you kept a snapshot for. After unplugging every potentially infected PC, of course. You can do flexible schedules like keep hourly for a week, daily for a quarter, weekly for a year or some such. All conveniently in the UI though some reading, thinking and possibly advice from the forum may be required.

You might want to read this for a start:

HTH,
Patrick

P.S. @Yasir please don't "hijack" existing threads that have a completely different topic. Create a new one with an appropriate subject. Could a mod split this, please?

Netdewt

Explorer

I can't find any CPU test that I can get to boot. Memtest was all clear, running SMART tests now. Do most people do the badblocks test? That's pretty intense...

Netdewt

Explorer
I deleted my pool and re added it (experimenting with things), but now the amount of available data is less than it was before. I'm searching but I don't know - what is this problem called? I thought it was something called autoexpand, but no luck with that yet.

Also iocage disappeared and didn't return when I made a new pool. Hmm.

I ran this on each disk, but no change. It was 7.27 TiB, but when I create a pool now it's 6.83 TiB.
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada1 bs=1m count=1

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Do most people do the badblocks test? That's pretty intense...
Most people? I doubt most people do but if you do not have a solidly designed system with an automated backup being created often, you should test your hard drives. Some people like to do it for several passes, I myself am happy with a single full pass of all the data patterns.

I can't find any CPU test that I can get to boot.
You tried the UBCD and couldn't get Prime95 to bootstrap? Sometimes the bootloader is picky, you many need to try other options mainly when loading video, like booting to VGA. Heck, it's been a while since booting that CD but there are other boot options and you need to test each one, hoping one will work. Do an internet search for Prime95 boot cd flash or something like that, you should be able to find another way to test the CPU.

You do not "need" to run this test but if you want to ensure the system is stable under load, this is one of the tests you need to perform. There are other CPU stress tests, any will do but yo just should do it.
I deleted my pool and re added it (experimenting with things), but now the amount of available data is less than it was before. I'm searching but I don't know - what is this problem called? I thought it was something called autoexpand, but no luck with that yet.

Also iocage disappeared and didn't return when I made a new pool. Hmm.

I ran this on each disk, but no change. It was 7.27 TiB, but when I create a pool now it's 6.83 TiB.
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada1 bs=1m count=1
Why did you run this code? Did someone tell you to do it? Do you know what it does? You probably created a file called "ada1" (not smart) that was 1 MB that contained "0" (zeros). You can destroy the pool again or just delete the one file.

Autoexpand is likely not what you think. I suspect you have used the space up by tinkering around.

You should tinker around, now is the time before commiting data to your system. But I would refrain from entering commands without knowing exactly what they do, and then after you enter a command, verify it does what you expect, if not then figure out what went wrong.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Some Supermicro boards can be _really_ picky
Two of my RAM stick SKUs were off by one letter (which described the revision of the DRAM chips used on them). No joy... once I got the RAM from the HCL down to the last detail in the SKU, all was well.