SOLVED TrueNAS won't boot after installation? Uefi/Bios/BSD referred?

green22

Dabbler
Hello,
I tried various setting with and without CSM options.
The installation media I could start both, Uefi and Bios mode.

No matter if I install as Uefi or BIOS, if I try to boot the from the sdd i installed to the screen is only black and nothing happens.

Intresting: If I go all Uefi (install mode and bios setting), the SSD would not be shown in the boot menu later. If I switch the bios back to bios mode it will show but don't boot as described.

Any Ideas what to do?

It's a fujitsu p920 on intel 1150. I tested installation on an fujitsu E710 intel 1155, works flawlessly.

It seems an installation will only be recognized in BIOS mode, no matter if installed as bios or uefi and will not boot anyway.

Can this be related to truesNAS BSD base? I never ran into similar issues with linux based OS.

I would really appreciate if someone has an idea or similar issue and answeres here.

Thank you.

PDM

Dabbler
Hi green22,
was this with a 12.0-U3 install?

I had something similar with upgrade to 12.0-U3 (from 12.0-U2.1) where the bios did not see the UEFI boot (pen) drives. It is something that still confuses me.

In the end, I nuked & reformatted the USB pen drives and did a fresh install (as I had my config backed up). Now it sees both UEFI and USB in BIOS.

regards,

PDM

green22

Dabbler
Hi green22,
was this with a 12.0-U3 install?

I had something similar with upgrade to 12.0-U3 (from 12.0-U2.1) where the bios did not see the UEFI boot (pen) drives. It is something that still confuses me.

In the end, I nuked & reformatted the USB pen drives and did a fresh install (as I had my config backed up). Now it sees both UEFI and USB in BIOS.

regards,

PDM

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, 12.0-U3.
I will test to install TrueNAS on an USB drive and/or get another SSD. Maybe the computer doesn't like the SSD :confused:
I read somewhere that there were trouble with some SSDs...

What do you mean by "nuke"? Some special treatment of the drive ("more" than just formatting?)? Deleting the partition table?

green22

Dabbler
If I do not get it to work, what would be the alternatives?

I decided for TrueNAS instead of openmediabvault because of native ZFS support with encryption. I did not find any other solution as easy as TrueNAS for that purpose.

PDM

Dabbler
Sorry "nuke" as reformatted with rufus (GPT & UEFI). Then installed 12.0-U3 onto the USB and uploaded my config file.

osmarupu

Cadet
Hallo everybody, I'm newby in this forum and I'm having the same problem described above.Moreover, if I make an installation on a USB Key it goes well, buy if i make an installation on SSD hard drive it gives me fail at reboot with the error of select proper device.Can anyone help me please?

PDM

Dabbler
@osmarupu I would look at the BIOS setup and ensure that you have selected UEFI [Name of your SSD] as your boot drive; assuming your motherboard supports UEFI.

I have switched from USB to SSD and it works as expected.

osmarupu

Cadet
Many thanks for your answer.
I've already made what you' ve suggested me and the result is the same.
My motherboard is ASROCK Q1900M and support Uefi with CSM for legacy.
If I connect my SSD to a PC USB through a SATA to USB adapter and make installation of TrueNAS in SSD the installation succeeded and TrueNAS boot normally.
If I connect my SSD directly to SATA for installation, after installation TrueNas doesn't boot
I've tried all possible installation UEFI e BIOS
The error message at boot is "Reboot and select proper boot device"
Many thanks for trying to help me, because I'm getting mad with this issue

green22

Dabbler
The Problem was solved after an Upgrade an many hours experimenting in the BIOS. I assume the main reason was a mixture of different CSM settings.
I tried to go all UEFI now.

zis8snbt4p

Dabbler
The Problem was solved after an Upgrade an many hours experimenting in the BIOS. I assume the main reason was a mixture of different CSM settings.
I tried to go all UEFI now.
You can mark the threas as solved if you want.

@osmarupu did you ever find a solution? I am in the exact same boat and not sure what to do. I have changed all my boot options to UEFI and it still doesn't work. I am curious what the "upgrade" was that @green22 did?

green22

Dabbler
@osmarupu did you ever find a solution? I am in the exact same boat and not sure what to do. I have changed all my boot options to UEFI and it still doesn't work. I am curious what the "upgrade" was that @green22 did?
I do not exactly now the reason in my case, maybe there were multiple reasons as well.
BIOS Settings: all uefi
Installation settings: all uefi
TrueNAS: newest version
Installations media: (this may be the crucial step) I tried different programs (with gui) to create the installations media. Sadly I can not say which program did it for me (neither if it was on Windows/Linux nor if I ended up in die command line :/ )

interesting. I will try this when I get home. admittedly when I flashed my usb with the TrueNAS .iso i did it through Pop_os!'s internal usb flasher so "popsicle" so maybe that's my issue? I will try and make a new bootable usb and try again.

NugentS

MVP
I just installed a new set of hardware using a Rufus written USB.
If a drive doesn't work then try a different one - some have issues booting.