No bootable drive after fresh install of scale 22.02.4

Skoal262

Dabbler
I have read many forums with the same title. Yes I'm aware it's usually hardware issues but please bear with me.

Issue: after install bios shows no bootable device. If I enter boot menu and tell the bios to manually boot my hdd it works fine. Reboot and back to no device found

1. Verified all csm and uefi settings tried changing it all per posts on the forums no affect. (Still required manual boot from bios bootmenu)

2. I have used this drive on an Ubuntu install it worked fine, installed truenas scale no automatic boot (if i, installed Ubuntu it worked. Reinstalled truenas. (Not the hdd)

3. Verified /dev/sdb2 (efi partition on boot drive) had the appropriate files present

4. Moved truenas hdd to newer computer with more uefi support settings to troubleshoot. Still required to boot from f10 bootmenu.

Conclusion:
Must be something during installation. Unlike other forums my installer doesn't give me the option to select boot environment manually (both partitions look to be present though). Installation media will not boot via legacy bios only mode. But boots automatically with uefi turned on. Once booted all works fine.

Skoal262

Dabbler
Sorry I forgot to state I did try installing onto a different hdd with no change and I did try several different software and USBs to create the install USB with no change

Skoal262

Dabbler
I did solve this issue. I ended up repartitioning and manually reinstalling grub (this didnt fix it). Then i realized there wasn't any files in the boot partition that the installer created. When i was boot up manually there were files in the /boot directory. I copied all the files in the /boot to the /sdx1 efi partition the isntaller created. I did have to manually mount this volume but after i rebooted and all came back up automagically.

artlessknave

Wizard
be aware that if you manually did anything, you might have to always manually do it before the system will boot.

sounds like you are probably using non recommended hardware, but you didnt post your hardware as required and found a workaround so *shrugs*

Skoal262

Dabbler
be aware that if you manually did anything, you might have to always manually do it before the system will boot.

sounds like you are probably using non recommended hardware, but you didnt post your hardware as required and found a workaround so *shrugs*
Only concern is after an update to the boot environment but it seems to have persisted so far. It's old Intel hardware (gen 2 i3) on a cheap motherboard. I think the issue falls into the fact it was very early uefi.