I can't get SMB to share.

vegeta535

Dabbler
When I try to add a SMB I get a error "[EINVAL] sharingsmb_create.path_local: SMB shares containing the apps dataset are not permitted." I just can't get it working on my network.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, are you trying to share the apps dataset? Because that's clearly not going to work. Share a different dataset that does not have apps as a child.

vegeta535

Dabbler
Well, are you trying to share the apps dataset? Because that's clearly not going to work. Share a different dataset that does not have apps as a child.
I am not. My media and another folder that I wan to share with SMB are not even showing up under storage. Sorry I am new to Scale.
Untitled.jpg

vegeta535

Dabbler
I can actually start SMB on iocage folder. But not media which is not showing up now.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can actually start SMB on iocage folder.
That isn't really a surprise (leaving aside the question of why you'd want to), as the iocage dataset isn't anything special under SCALE. You are running SCALE, right? Because you posted in the SCALE forum.

vegeta535

Dabbler
I am running scale. I just update it from CORE earlier. I did it to test and it worked. I can access it from the windows PC. The problem is my media fold is not showing up and wont let in the data set. When I try to add a SMB it does show me my media folder as a option but I get the above error when I try to select it. IDK what is holding it up.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, where is your media "folder"? Is it on the same pool as your apps? Is it somewhere under the ix-applications dataset? You aren't giving us very much to go on.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You can only share datasets, not folders. Furthermore, it's not recommended to share anything underneath the iocage dataset on Core. On Scale, it probably doesn't matter, but isn't recommended if you ever move your pool back to Core.

vegeta535

Dabbler
Well, where is your media "folder"? Is it on the same pool as your apps? Is it somewhere under the ix-applications dataset? You aren't giving us very much to go on.
It was under storage.

You can only share datasets, not folders. Furthermore, it's not recommended to share anything underneath the iocage dataset on Core. On Scale, it probably doesn't matter, but isn't recommended if you ever move your pool back to Core.
Not is not what I am trying to do. Ignore the iocage. Where did my media folder go? The space used up on my NAS is correct so I know it didn't get deleted.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can only share datasets, not folders.
Nonsense. The GUI only shows datasets, but there's nothing stopping you from entering the path to a directory that isn't a dataset.

Just thought of something--this is probably a host path validation issue.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Again, most likely a host path validation issue. See:
and

If you're using that dataset to store data for any apps, this is almost certainly your problem.

Samuel Tai

OK, I think this is because your media folder exists at the root of your pool, where the ix-applications dataset also resides, so the root dataset contains the app dataset. The probable fix is to convert your media folder to a dataset, and use that for SMB sharing.

vegeta535

Dabbler
OK, I think this is because your media folder exists at the root of your pool, where the ix-applications dataset also resides, so the root dataset contains the app dataset. The probable fix is to convert your media folder to a dataset, and use that for SMB sharing.
The structure is /MNT/Storage/(Media)(ix-application)(other). How would I go about converting the media folder?

Samuel Tai

1. Rename the media folder: mv /mnt/Storage/media /mnt/Storage/foo.
  2. Create the media dataset in the UI.
  3. Copy the contents of /mnt/Storage/foo into the new media dataset. There are several ways to do this; use the one most convenient for you.
    • rsync
    • mc - You'll probably find this easiest
    • cp

melonion

Dabbler
So I gotta create separate dataset, which is a folder but at the same time a separate filesystem, and move Terrabytes of data from the disk to itself, introducing unnecessary wear, just so my SMB share works again, which worked just fine a few weeks ago? WHY?

We would love to become commercial supporters of TrueNAS at some point, but with all these weird issues I am getting more and more doubtful...

-jim

Cadet
But are there not some issues of sharing non-app data with Apps like Plex?

mobrien118

Dabbler
I'm in the same boat, but I'm trying to share one of my "home" folders. I don't think it would be wise to make each home folder that I want to share into a dataset. Would there be any issue with converting "ix-applications" into a sub-volume, and would that segment it off enough to work?

I have a home folder that is apparently "grandfathered in" to being a share that would otherwise be subject to this rule, but since it was there before this was enforced, it still continues to exist..

melonion

Dabbler
Still would like to see this resolved, we stumble upon it again and again.
Why can we not share something from a dataset of which the apps dataset is a child?