SMB shares containing the apps dataset are not permitted

francisaugusto

Contributor
Hi,

Yesterday when I upgraded to Cobia I had to install a TFTPD app, since the TFTP service is no longer available.
Then I started to get these errors:

SMB shares have path-related configuration issues that may impact service stability: games: SMB shares containing the apps dataset are not permitted, videos: SMB shares containing the apps dataset are not permitted, pictures: SMB shares containing the apps dataset are not permitted​

My pool is like this:

/mnt/myPool

And the shares are under "myPool", as well as the `ix-applications` dataset. Why it is complaining that I have an SMB share containing the apps dataset? I have only one app installed, and that one app has access to another folder under "mypool", so I don't know why this error keeps coming.

So it is:

- /mnt/myPool
|_ ix-applications
|_ videos
|_ games
|_ pictures
|_ tftp <-- this one is where my TFTPD app has access to.

Any hits on how to fix it?

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
Do you have an SMB share on the root of the pool? /mnt/myPool? if so this would not be allowed, the ix-applications dataset should not reside on a pool where the root dataset has an SMB share. I tested this morning and found that we do have an issue where if the SMB share is setup before the apps pool is set then the pool set is allowed when in fact it should fail validation and not be allowed to be set. You can find the ticket:

However, when done the opposite way round, setting up an SMB share on the root dataset after the apps pool has been set, then it correctly throws an error. I also tested setting up SMB shares on child datasets of the root before and after the apps pool was set, but I did not find any issues, they could be setup successfully.

francisaugusto

Contributor
Do you have an SMB share on the root of the pool? /mnt/myPool? if so this would not be allowed, the ix-applications dataset should not reside on a pool where the root dataset has an SMB share. I tested this morning and found that we do have an issue where if the SMB share is setup before the apps pool is set then the pool set is allowed when in fact it should fail validation and not be allowed to be set. You can find the ticket:

However, when done the opposite way round, setting up an SMB share on the root dataset after the apps pool has been set, then it correctly throws an error. I also tested setting up SMB shares on child datasets of the root before and after the apps pool was set, but I did not find any issues, they could be setup successfully.
Thanks. The thing is that I'm not having that share. But the error disappeared, so I think it might have been some old stuff.