[EINVAL] sharingsmb_create.path_local: SMB shares containing the apps dataset are not permitted

andresuporte

Cadet
Hello

I'm getting this message when trying to share folders within a HD pool via SMB

"[EINVAL] sharingsmb_create.path_local: SMB shares containing the apps dataset are not permitted"

The error code indicates that I cannot share app datasets via SMB

Although there are some app datasets within the pool, this is not what I want to share

I see as if the datasets have hijacked the entire HD pool and it doesn't allow me to share other folders

The datasets are in "/mnt/HDD/ix-applications" and "/mnt/HDD/APP..."

The folders I want to share are in "/mnt/HDD/rede"

Can you help me get around this error?

Attachments

• Erro1.png
    Erro1.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Erro2.png
    Erro2.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Erro3.png
    Erro3.png
    37 KB · Views: 99

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Are you selecting `/mnt/HDD` or `/mn/HDD/rede` when trying to the share? Former is not permitted when ix-applications dataset is located within HDD pool, but latter should be fine (unless it's a symlink back to a path within the former -- and a few other edge cases).

andresuporte

Cadet
The paths I want to share are inside the "/mnt/HDD/rede" folder. These are all folders within this directory

The issue is that I can't share any folder that is within the pool, be it "/mnt/HDD/rede", "/mnt/HDD/rede/anyfolder", ""/mnt/HDD/anotherfolder" etc simply because there is a dataset configured in this pool

I checked the folder permissions for /rede, for example, and it says "drwxr-xr-x" (755). Even if I apply chmod 777, I can't share it. This folder was created after configuring the datasets and installing the applications

Is this a bug?

Attachments

• Erro4.png
    Erro4.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Erro5.png
    Erro5.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 100

andresuporte

Cadet
Resolved!

In Truenas Scale, you need to add the folder as a SMB dataset

I deleted the "/mnt/HDD/rede" folder and created a dataset with the same name. It worked

Now, I will have to recreate the subfolders as SMB datasets too, but that's ok

Here's the link to the Truenas Docs that I found (and hadn't read before)

Thank you and good luck everyone!

Attachments

• Solucionado3.png
    Solucionado3.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Solucionado2.png
    Solucionado2.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Solucionado1.png
    Solucionado1.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 109

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The paths I want to share are inside the "/mnt/HDD/rede" folder. These are all folders within this directory

The issue is that I can't share any folder that is within the pool, be it "/mnt/HDD/rede", "/mnt/HDD/rede/anyfolder", ""/mnt/HDD/anotherfolder" etc simply because there is a dataset configured in this pool

I checked the folder permissions for /rede, for example, and it says "drwxr-xr-x" (755). Even if I apply chmod 777, I can't share it. This folder was created after configuring the datasets and installing the applications

Is this a bug?
Oh, you created directories and shared those rather than datasets?

andresuporte

Cadet
Oh, you created directories and shared those rather than datasets?
Yep

Using Truenas Core, this is how I shared folders. I create them in batch via the command line, indicated the path to SMB sharing and voilà.

This is the first time I've actually used the Truenas Scale.

I now see that it is necessary to create a SMB dataset one by one and all the subfolders that I want to share. After that, I edit the ACL permissions and everything works, without the initial error message

Rookie mistake. (In the south Brazil, we call it "chupetisse" )

andresuporte

Cadet
I agree with you, Melonion

Creating datasets for each folder, one by one, makes the work slow and tiring

What I did is not the perfect solution, but it is the way I understood TrueNAS Scale to work

In the Linux world, I worked with Debian and Ubuntu Servers before, always using SMB, and I never experienced this

Anyway, I'll stay tuned for news