I cant access my servers IPMI when i'm connected to Wifi?? any thoughts on why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmdfunk

Dabbler
I have a freenas server running on a Supermicro h8dme-2 mobo, dual 6 core opteron 2431 CPU's. 16 GB ECC ram with an array of 10-2TB, HDD in a raidz2 I have the IPMI AOC-SIM1U(+) that is compatible with the motherboard. When I am connected to my network with a wired connection I am able to use Supermicro's IPMIView software to connect to the server, but if I am on the same computer but connected to my homes WIFI, I cant connect. Everything else works fine when connected to wifi, SSH, file transfers, ETC (so i don't have wifi isolation on in my router). I just cant connect to the IPMI. Any suggestions?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
It may be that the X8 series mobos just have a flaky IPMI subsystem? My X8SIE's IPMI will not work when connected directly to a Dell PowerConnect 2816 switch, but works fine when plugged into a Netgear switch -- which is plugged into the Dell 2816. Doesn't make any sense at all, and I know I'm not unique as I found another user with exactly the same problem (and solution) on the Dell support boards.

Gmdfunk

Dabbler
I dont know if I was clear, The IPMI interface is always connected wired, its the other computers that I am using to connect to the IPMI. if I am on my laptop and I plug in a network cable, it works, if i go on wireless to the same router, it doesnt work. also i cant seem to connect to the IPMI via Supermicros iphone app. (which is always wireless)

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Everything else works fine when connected to wifi, SSH, file transfers, ETC (so i don't have wifi isolation on in my router). I just cant connect to the IPMI.
IPMI is a different interface than the freenas. So my guess is your ipmi is configured in a different network space. How is your network setup, and what handles DHCP, and what is the IP address of a wired client, wireless client, freenas interface and ipmi interface?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Figure out the obvious stuff first. From a problematic client, can you ping the IPMI? If not, troubleshoot basic IP connectivity.

It is entirely possible for there to be some underlying network issue. Some of us fondly remember the days when autonegotiation didn't work well and options always had to be wired in with negotiation disabled, the opposite of today when it usually works correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.