I cant seem to make my supermicro IPMI work. any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmdfunk

Dabbler
I have a supermicro h8dme-2 and a supermicro sim1u IPMI card that is connected to a dedicated network port. I can not seem to make the IPMI interface connect to the network and see anything. I can try to set the LAN settings in the bios. When I set everything static, I cant connect to it's IP, I cant ping it, from any systems on the network, I cant connect to it with supermicros IPMIView program. When I set it to DCHP, it doesn't get an IP address in the range that my router assigns, and it does not see any gateway (reads 0.0.0.0) I have power cycled the system and disconnected and reseated the IPMI card. I have tried switching the cables from another server that has a working IPMI interface. No change.

I have tried using supermicro's ipmicfg utility both in linux, and with a DOS boot disk. I can reset the web interface ( ipmicfg -fd) but that makes no change, and things like the IP address, MAC address, etc stay the same. i have tried closing the reset jumper, which doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm not sure from the instructions how the jumper is supposed to be used. closed and then opened while powered off, closed and left closed while turning on the system (I tried both) MAC stays the same (a mac I assigned thinking that it would revert to its default if the reset was successful)

When I try to use the full reset including networking (ipmicfg -fde or -fdl) it tells me that it was unable to reset the BNC. I have tried it with both several flavors of linux, and with a DOS boot disk. all give me the same error.

Does anyone have any suggestions for being able to do a full reset on this IPMI card, or any other method to make it work? It was working before, but then i tried to change the change something via ipmicfg and it stopped working. changing the settings with ipmicfg have the same effect as changing it in the bios, (not obtaining an IP with dhcp, not seeing the gateway, not being pingable or reachable wiht static numbers)

I can see it with ipmitool in freenas, but I'm not able to find any equivalent command that would reset the networking like ipmicfg has.

Sorry about all the text, I not sure how to be more concise.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That sounds odd.

You might call the SuperMicro guys in California. Believe it or not, they, usually, will take the time to find the right guy over there who will give you a call back or email you or whatever. We have had a number of users with semi-weird situations (sometimes their fault, even), who simply called up Supermicro, and they got their problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.