Supermicro IPMI View

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdwosk97

Patron
So with IPMI View, I'll turn the system on, and then I'll either let the software detect the IP address or manually enter it -- will the system not finish booting in the meantime? I want to use IPMI to install windows 7 (so I can do some testing also over IPMI) from a flash drive and configure the bios, and then later I'll be swapping in FreeNAS.

I connected the system's IPMI port (and normal LAN port) to my router but I don't see the device from within my router's interface, and the discovery tool built into IPMI View doesn't see it either (I know hooking up a monitor is the logical answer, but that's not really an alternative right now).

/I'm using a Supermicro X9SCM-F

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The system will boot if it is set up to, and if it can. IPMI plays very little part in the boot process under normal circumstances.

If you're not seeing the IPMI, that may be bad. Make sure you've got your network plugged into the IPMI port.

djdwosk97

Patron
The system will boot if it is set up to, and if it can. IPMI plays very little part in the boot process under normal circumstances.

If you're not seeing the IPMI, that may be bad. Make sure you've got your network plugged into the IPMI port.
Okay, I think I figured out the issue -- I had to enable the COM2 in the bios.

When I go to the IP address in my browser I'm now brought to the login page where the default username and password should be ADMIN/ADMIN, but when I try to login I end up with 'this webpage is not available'.

djdwosk97

Patron

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, that seems wrong. For a purely browser based problem, I would have said try another browser. Hm.

djdwosk97

Patron
Well, that seems wrong. For a purely browser based problem, I would have said try another browser. Hm.
maybe I'm forgetting something in the bios? I can't imagine what though.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No. Can you try it from a different client machine?

djdwosk97

Patron
No. Can you try it from a different client machine?
I just have two devices -- my Mac, which is where I tried to access IPMI via chrome and my desktop (w7) where I tried IPMI view.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Try IPMI via a browser on the PC. Just shooting in the dark. It's possible the IPMI is in a bad state, I suppose.

djdwosk97

Patron
Try IPMI via a browser on the PC. Just shooting in the dark. It's possible the IPMI is in a bad state, I suppose.
When I click login it just reloads the login page (and asks for the username and password again) -- it's doing the same thing on my Mac now too.

ChriZ

Patron
Did you buy this motherboard new or used?
Perhaps stupid idea but if it is used then the credentials are not the default ones and ipmi webui is awfully designed (it won't throw an error, it will simply do what it is doing in your case)

djdwosk97

Patron
used

I messaged the seller and asked if they had the issue and how/if they managed to overcome it.

ChriZ

Patron
Sorry, edited my previous post (accidentally hit reply before completing the message)

djdwosk97

Patron
Sorry, edited my previous post (accidentally hit reply before completing the message)
It looks like the default credentials were reset but for whatever reason weren't working. His main credentials worked though, so that's good. I'm surprised that clearing the CMOS/resetting defaults wouldn't have cleared the login credentials though.

Although, I guess I can see why you wouldn't want that.

EDIT: What User's can I remove and which do I have to keep? Do I have to keep the anonymous with reserved privileges?

ChriZ

Patron
Don't remember right now, but I think that resetting the BMC is a different option than resetting the BIOS itself.
Anyways, glad you figured this out in the end!
Cheers!

ChriZ

Patron
EDIT: What User's can I remove and which do I have to keep? Do I have to keep the anonymous with reserved privileges?

Nah, just keep the admin user; just keep in mind that exposing the BMC to the internet is a bad idea...

djdwosk97

Patron
Nah, just keep the admin user; just keep in mind that exposing the BMC to the internet is a bad idea...
Yeah, I don't intend to -- I just wanted to clear out the clutter and I didn't know what accounts could be removed and which need to be kept for the system.

Because of where my server is set up I may not even leave IPMI connected (I rarely need to access the GUI anyway, so on the occasions that I do I can just run an ethernet wire).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Don't use chrome it has Java disabled partially. Use safari or internet explorer.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Perhaps stupid idea but if it is used then the credentials are not the default ones and ipmi webui is awfully designed (it won't throw an error, it will simply do what it is doing in your case)

So, definitely not a stupid idea. Please do feel free to step in with the obvious especially if it's been missed. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.