IPMI Over LAN with Supermicro Xeon D-1521 Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisolson09

Dabbler
Hey all,

I'm in the process of my first build and trying to get a few kinks worked out of the system before I move forward. I'm a total newbie when it comes to this stuff but i'm excited to learn. So many of you have already helped me out a ton! My build is with the Fractal Design Node 304 and Supermicro Xeon D-1521 board (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/d/X10SDV-4C-TLN2F.cfm).

I was having some issues with the fan threshholds but with your help I got that figured out I think. The last hang up I have is setting up the IPMI over a LAN port using this board. The IPMI works great when using the dedicated port for it but I can't get it to work on any of the LAN ports.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I know the the answer and it can't be done but I thought I'd throw it out to you all and see if there was something I wasn't thinking of. In my research it says that when you run IPMI over a LAN port that it has to be the LAN1 port, the problem comes in for me though is that this board does not have the LAN1/2 ports based on the schematic...it only has the 3/4 LAN ports and I'm wondering if this is the reason why it's not working.

I found this thread that deals with my exact issue but the problem was never fully addressed so that's why I'm asking.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/supermicro-ipmi-lan-failover.54248/#post-375841

Thanks everyone for all your help, it's invaluable!!

Chris

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
In my research it says that when you run IPMI over a LAN port that it has to be the LAN1 port, the problem comes in for me though is that this board does not have the LAN1/2 ports based on the schematic...it only has the 3/4 LAN ports and I'm wondering if this is the reason why it's not working.
Are you saying that your system board only has the 10Gb network connections?

Redcoat

MVP
I looked at the mobo manual and it indicates that the board does not have the LAN1/2 ports. I would check in with SM tech support and make sure that the information in that earlier post is still current. If that's so, I guess you will need to cable up to the IPMI port.

Last edited:

chrisolson09

Dabbler
I looked at the mobo manual and it indicates that the board does not have the LAN1/2 ports. I would check in with SM tech support and make usre that the information in that earlier post is still current. If that's so, I guess you will need to cable up to the IPMI port.

Already got an email out to them...my fear is that I'll be out of luck but it is what it is I guess. Not everything can go my way lol

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Already got an email out to them...my fear is that I'll be out of luck but it is what it is I guess. Not everything can go my way lol
I recall another similar situation and the 10Gb ports run through a different hardware controller, so they have no access to the IPMI subsystem.
Sorry, I don't think it is going to work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.