SOLVED FreeNAS Mini (C2750D4I) IPMI - no web GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeVulture

Dabbler
For the life of me, I cannot seem to find a link to report an issue with ixSystems for my FreeNAS Mini - other than the regular FreeNAS bug reporting forum.

Anyway... I have a FreeNAS Mini (C2570D4I-based) and I can't seem to access the IPMI web GUI - it used to work. IPMI is active, based on these findings:
1. I can run ipmitool under FreeNAS:
Code:
[joevulture@freenas ~]$ sudo ipmitool lan print 1
Set in Progress         : Set Complete
Auth Type Support       : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD OEM
Auth Type Enable        : Callback : MD2 MD5
                        : User     : MD2 MD5
                        : Operator : MD2 MD5
                        : Admin    : MD2 MD5
                        : OEM      :
IP Address Source       : DHCP Address
IP Address              : 192.168.1.195
Subnet Mask             : 255.255.255.0
MAC Address             : bc:5f:f4:fe:59:d4
SNMP Community String   : AMI
IP Header               : TTL=0x40 Flags=0x40 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x10
BMC ARP Control         : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Enabled
Gratituous ARP Intrvl   : 0.0 seconds
Default Gateway IP      : 192.168.1.1
Default Gateway MAC     : 00:00:00:00:00:00
Backup Gateway IP       : 0.0.0.0
Backup Gateway MAC      : 00:00:00:00:00:00
802.1q VLAN ID          : Disabled
802.1q VLAN Priority    : 0
RMCP+ Cipher Suites     : 0,1,2,3,6,7,8,11,12
Cipher Suite Priv Max   : caaaXXaaaXXaaXX
                        :     X=Cipher Suite Unused
                        :     c=CALLBACK
                        :     u=USER
                        :     o=OPERATOR
                        :     a=ADMIN
                        :     O=OEM

2. I am able to telnet into it:
Code:
Joes-MBP:~ joevulture$ telnet 192.168.1.195
Trying 192.168.1.195...
Connected to 192.168.1.195.
Escape character is '^]'.

AMIBC5FF4FE59D4 login: admin
Password:

BusyBox v1.13.2 (2014-11-19 16:09:49 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

$

3. I have tried doing a reset (reboot of IPMI, I guess):
Code:
[joevulture@freenas ~]$ sudo ipmitool mc reset cold
Sent cold reset command to MC

Power-cycling does not have an impact on it. I would normally try flashing the BMC, but it seems (if I understand the manuals correctly) that you must flash the BMC from the BMC GUI.

Has anybody experienced this and have an idea of how to fix it?

Thanks,
Joe

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is the IPMI LAN port connected to your network? Are you using the shared LAN port?

D

dlavigne

For the life of me, I cannot seem to find a link to report an issue with ixSystems for my FreeNAS Mini - other than the regular FreeNAS bug reporting forum.

Regarding this point, bugs.freenas.org is still the correct place to report Mini bugs. If you're on 9.3, System -> Support will automatically include your Mini specs in the generated bug report (you'll still need to register on bugs.freenas.org and login first).

JoeVulture

Dabbler
Regarding this point, bugs.freenas.org is still the correct place to report Mini bugs. If you're on 9.3, System -> Support will automatically include your Mini specs in the generated bug report (you'll still need to register on bugs.freenas.org and login first).
Is the IPMI LAN port connected to your network? Are you using the shared LAN port?
Eric, I tried both ports and got the same results.

Thanks for the tip, dlavigne (if your name comes out incorrectly, it's cell phone autocorrect) - I'll try filing a proper report when I get home.

-- Joe

JoeVulture

Dabbler
It's been a bit (been busy with work), but I was able to get this solved. I got a program from Asrock that reset the BNC to defaults, and the web UI is working again. i must have changed some setting that didn't clobber things until BNC restart (which happened due to a lightning strike - thank goodness for the UPS!)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
These ASPeed BMCs and associated Intel management engine seem to enter unpredictable states a bit more frequently than desired. Glad it's working again.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've had no problems with my BMC since I updated the firmware 2 or 3 versions ago...

JoeVulture

Dabbler
I was running the latest version of BMC firmware (although not the latest BIOS; I'm still debating that one) - I think my problems were self-inflicted.

I decided that I didn't want (what I thought was) the second BMC interface (e.g. shared with LAN1) grabbing an IP address on my network, so I disabled it through the BMC GUI. When I looked at BMC network configuration in the BIOS, the interface had no MAC address (all zeros). In conversing with Asrock, that may have actually been the primary interface - regardless, that still doesn't explain telnet access working but HTTP access not working.

According to William at Asrock, eth0 in the BMC is the shared LAN port and eth1 is the dedicated BMC port.

At this point, I'm just happy that it is working again.

-- Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.