Completely New To True Nas- I'm Having a transfer speed issue! 1mb top speed

WillyCrispy

Cadet
Hi guys, I setup my nas today using an old server I followed a tutorial on YouTube to get it all setup it all looks good but my transfer speed sucks! I get 1mb transfer max! this is how I have things connected MODEM PORT 1 ---CAT8 --->Wifi Router AsusAX1100 ---CAT8-> COMPUTER /// MODEM PORT 2--CAT8--SERVER. If I connect the server to the Router MODEM PORT 1 ----CAT8----->WIFI Router Asus ACX1100---CAT 8--> COMPUTER & ---- CAT8> SERVER then my speeds are great 110mb transfer instead of 1mb. Just wondering why this is happening and if there is a fix? I can't have my server connected to my Wifi Router permanently hence why I have the issue. I want to connect the server to the modem. My windows share is SMB.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to the forum and TrueNAS. We cannot really help you much without some clear information. Please read the forum rules (linked in the banner of every page) where it tell you you what you need to post about your system when asking a question. Please do not assume we know your hardware and what version of TrueNAS you are running, and exactly what type/size of files you are transferring to/from and the system.

Also, since this does not sound like a TrueNAS issue and a basic network issue, please be very clear on the hardware you are using. Modem means nothing to me but if you tell me the make and model, I can look it up and then know what you have and understand it. But off the top of my head, I would expect it to be a quality setting on the modem or possibly a bad Ethernet cable.

Lastly, while I'm sure it makes perfectly great sense to you, I'm having a difficult time understanding the connections from the server to wherever. Please explain like we know nothing at all. Do not assume we know.

WillyCrispy

Cadet
Welcome to the forum and TrueNAS. We cannot really help you much without some clear information. Please read the forum rules (linked in the banner of every page) where it tell you you what you need to post about your system when asking a question. Please do not assume we know your hardware and what version of TrueNAS you are running, and exactly what type/size of files you are transferring to/from and the system.

Also, since this does not sound like a TrueNAS issue and a basic network issue, please be very clear on the hardware you are using. Modem means nothing to me but if you tell me the make and model, I can look it up and then know what you have and understand it. But off the top of my head, I would expect it to be a quality setting on the modem or possibly a bad Ethernet cable.

Lastly, while I'm sure it makes perfectly great sense to you, I'm having a difficult time understanding the connections from the server to wherever. Please explain like we know nothing at all. Do not assume we know.
Hello! Thanks for your reply! The modem is a Hitron CODA-45. If I connect the server to my Wifi router (Asus AX1100) the speeds from the computers also connected to the router are fast 110mb. If I connect server to my modem (Hitron CODA-45) the transfer speed from my computers that are still connected to the router ( Asus AX1100) slow down to 1mb. Everything is connected using CAT8 ethernet cords. My version of Truenas is TrueNAS-12.0-U7. The Computer is a Lenovo ThinkServer TS430 Computer Specs are as follows: CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz, RAM: 8G , GPU: NVIDIA 1060 6G, 3x 1TB drives.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So I think you are configuring your network incorrectly. I'm surprised that you get any connectivity at all with your server connected to the Modem but I have no idea what the routing is for that traffic given your specific situation. It is not a computer issue on your part, this is either how the Modem is configured and/or the WiFi Router and which device is the Gateway & DHCP. I don't want to get into a lesson on networking here but rather just fix the problem at hand. I would recommend that you read the manual for your Modem and Router, and also read on the internet about how to setup a wired network.
Modem Manual: https://www.midco.com/contentassets...418c1b314/hitron-coda-45-modem-user-guide.pdf

The fix is easy and the best way to properly fix this issue, which is to add something like a nice 8-port switch. You do not need a managed switch unless you are playing with VLANs, but based on the experience level I think you have, I doubt you are using VLANs. If you are using VLANs or plan to in the future, buy a managed switch which can handle that support. Then what you do is plug the new switch into one of your WiFi Router ports and then plug in all your Ethernet cables into the new switch. This will also offload a lot of work from your WiFi Router making things seem a bit more snappy.

Here is an example of an 8-port managed switch that I own. They are good and have a lifetime warranty, and do not cost too much.
Here is an example of an unmanged 8-port switch, I have one of these in the 5 port version.

Good Luck.