Hi everyone
I've just put together a NAS made with the following spare parts:
- Asus p6x58d-e motherboard
- Intel Xeon X5650
- 24 GB DDR3 1333 RAM
- 32 GB Kingston SSD for OS
- 4 x 1TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD RaidZ1
- Chelsio S310E-CR with Chelsio SFP+ SR transceiver

It is connected to a Xyzel zyxel xgs1250-12 switch via SFP+ with a brocade 10GBase-T SR transceiver, using a 1.5m full duplex fiber.

The client is a windows11 machine (12700K on Tomahawk MB, 64GB Ram) using an Intel X520-D2 NIC with a 10GTek RJ-45 transceiver which connects to one Zyxel multi-Gig RJ-45 port via a 7m ethernet Cat8 wire.

The "problem" I have iperf3 gives me a writing transfer of 3.5Gpbs and reading transfer of 1.8Gbps. Far away from the nominal speed of the network. By considering that iperf3 used at default performs a memory to memory transfer (so disks speed should not matter), I'm trying to figure out where this speed loss should be located. I've set some tunables in different configuration, but the only benefit I had was just in using Jumbo frames.

I put "problem" within hyphens becaus when transfering files the speed I get is more than enough for my current use. However, having the system not to perform as it would be supposed to do, is hurting me :tongue:

Do you have some test to suggest in order to figure out where the bottleneck is? I'm wondering about:
- The Cat 8 cable
- All of the transceivers
- Other hardware bottleneck?

Any help would be appreciated.

How you changed any of the tunables? If not, you should check out the 10G primers and look through the forums for 10G tuning tips. Use at your own risk, but I have included the tunables I use on both my systems. iperf3 gives me 39Gb+ throughput between systems on the 40G interfaces.
1653576511787.png

hellamasta

Dabbler
How you changed any of the tunables? If not, you should check out the 10G primers and look through the forums for 10G tuning tips. Use at your own risk, but I have included the tunables I use on both my systems. iperf3 gives me 39Gb+ throughput between systems on the 40G interfaces.
Thanks for the reply.
Here are mine.

Screenshot 2022-05-27 103719.png

hellamasta

Dabbler
I just checked Jumbo frames settings and noticed that I didn't save MTU9000 for Truenas NIC. Now both RX and TX are running at about 3 Gbps. However this is far from 10Gbps nominal speed