Transfer speed & future upgrades

kbrvfx

Dabbler
Good day everyone!

So I just made a nas server out of old pc components here in our office and with a cat6 lan cable, it is connected to the router. My main issue right now is the transfer speed (wifi - lan).

I also performed an iperf test between server (lan) and client (wifi - 350 Mbps adapter 801-b\g\n) and this is the result:
Client connecting to 192.168.1.22, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 208 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[ 3] local 192.168.1.9 port 1236 connected with 192.168.1.22 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 99.5 MBytes 83.3 Mbits/sec
Mobo: msi fm2-a75ma-p33
Cpu: am4 5300
Ram: 8gb ddr3
Storage: 500gbx3 old drives

I did try to use the same cable on a working pc and it did detect as 1 Gbps (it was an h81 board) then proceeded to create a shared folder to test the speed (transfer file from wired pc to the other pc with a 350Mbps wifi adapter), however the speeds are the same which is around 9-11 MB/s on both from wired pc to wifi pc and vice versa and sometimes it goes up to 17-18 MB/s but goes down directly.

My main concern is that, could it be that I have to change config on my old server bios to change 100Mbps to 1000Mbps? Since the board supports Gigabit network?

I've considered these solutions for this problem of mine:
  1. Convert network system to lan-lan (with switch & cat6 lan cables instead of wifi to server)
  2. Get an intel NIC (but so rare to find in our country)
  3. Get a mobo with an intel NIC (Since I heard that realtek NIC's are junk)

The maximum you will ever see in theory with N wifi is 43MB/s. But you most likely will never even get close to that. There is not a BIOS setting to switch a NIC to gigabit that i have ever seen. 9-11MBs is what you would get with a 10/100 device somewhere in the network. Check every devices negotiation rate and you should be able to get a bit better, but remember 43.75 is the theoretical maximum you will ever see.

kbrvfx

Dabbler
The maximum you will ever see in theory with N wifi is 43MB/s. But you most likely will never even get close to that. There is not a BIOS setting to switch a NIC to gigabit that i have ever seen. 9-11MBs is what you would get with a 10/100 device somewhere in the network. Check every devices negotiation rate and you should be able to get a bit better, but remember 43.75 is the theoretical maximum you will ever see.

I sense that it could be the config of the ISP's default router. I don't want to tamper with it for now, belongs to the company im working in. However, when i plan to attach a dedicated gigabit router, a switch then i might see the default isp router.

I'm planning to buy an another router that is Gigabit (for wireless transfer like from laptop to server), a gigabit switch and connect the pc's with cat6 cables.

Do you think I still need a new router so wireless devices can access the server while the server is connect to a switch or is the default isp router enough?

Sounds to me like the ports on the isp router are only working at 10/100. Buy all gigabit equipment and good cables and you should see around 111MBs.

kbrvfx

Dabbler
Sounds to me like the ports on the isp router are only working at 10/100. Buy all gigabit equipment and good cables and you should see around 111MBs.

Can you still access the server through wifi when it (server) is connected through the switch which is the same with the other pc's?