How to setup transcoding with FreeNas for iPad use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskeyjack

Dabbler
I'm looking for some pointers/tips/info on how to setup transcoding with FreeNas. I know MiniDLNA is available, but that only serves up the files in a specific way and doesn't do any transcoding (right?). I want to get a better understanding on how this is supposed to work.

What I would like to do is stream video files (mostly mkv, but also some dvd iso's and mpg) and photos to my iPad. Is this possible? What software would I need and how would it work (are the files served via Samba/NFS/FTP and then transcoded? Does it tie in with MiniDLNA? Is there another protocol? Are there iPad players that have proven to work with this?). There doesn't seem to be a plugin for this, but I'm fairly capable in Linux so I will probably find my way around FreeBSD if necessary.

It is not an absolute necessity for me to get this working, but it does seem an interesting project ;-)

Theflu

Dabbler
Look into emit app and air video for the ipad.

They wont run on freenas so you will have to set them up on a different computer and point them to the shares. Emit supports windows/liunx/mac and airvideo is winodws/mac

whiskeyjack

Dabbler
thanks, Emit looks promising as it has linux support.

But there is no way to get this working on a FreeNAS machine? The point was really to have it all on the same machine.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Simple answer is no, FreeNAS 8 currently does not support transcoding. If you're up for it you could install a transcoding DLNA server into the jail PBI, which is the proper and only place to load something up in FreeNAS 8. You also need to has a powerful enough FreeNAS machine to handle transcoding on the fly.

My recommendation is to convert your videos into a suitable format and then play those files.

whiskeyjack

Dabbler
That's too bad, but thanks for the clear answer.

Follow up question then, is there maybe a plugin that converts files automatically whenever a new file is placed in a specific folder?

joeschmuck

Old Man
That's too bad, but thanks for the clear answer.

Follow up question then, is there maybe a plugin that converts files automatically whenever a new file is placed in a specific folder?
Simple answer is No. Complex answer is you might be able to create something that would to this automatically for you but I doubt it's worth the effort unless you know your way around programming.

Theflu

Dabbler
The auto transcoding is not that hard to do it could be done with handbrake, bash script and a cron job. I have set this up before. Also emit can convert your files for you but it not automatic.

whiskeyjack

Dabbler
Ok, that doesn't sound too hard (I know my way around in Bash). Might give it a shot just for fun, once I get the machine up and running (still ordering parts).

Thanks all for the pointers, I had hoped more was possible, but at least I now know the options.

Status
Not open for further replies.