Not open for further replies.

Joe Tucker

Cadet
Just finished a brand new build last night with specs as follows:

Lenovo Thinkserver TS-440
Xeon E3-1245 v3
20GB ECC RAM
6x 3TB Western Digital Red in RaidZ2
FreeNas 9.3 Stable (Downloaded last night)

Setup Plex this morning and am very disappointed with the transcoding performance. I have a FireTV that is hardwired into my network. Trying to play a roughly 4GB MKV (Toy Story 3) is unwatchable. Also tried my iPhone and iPad - similar results.

All devices that don't need to transcode (Macbook Air, Xbox One) work great.

I put this system together thinking that I would have more than enough horsepower to handle this kind of workload. Did I miscalculate something here? Would appreciate any help.

Fraoch

Patron
What's the CPU usage during transcoding? It must be something else, the E3-1245 should be able to transcode several streams simultaneously with power to spare.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yes, something else is wrong in your setup. You can easily transcoded video.

raidflex

Guru
I can trans-code multiple 30-40GB blu-ray rips at a time with my Xeon E3-1230v3, so there is defiantly something wrong. I would also recommend removing the 4Gb stick. You are also losing dual channel by using 3 sticks.

Scareh

Contributor
seeing he can stream non transcoded files of similar size without problems, its not his network.

1) try removing the 4 gig stick like previously stated and make sure they are in the correct channels
2) watch the cpu/network throughput when you stream and see if something pops up

Joe Tucker

Cadet
Thanks to each of you for taking the time to respond. Turns out that there was something wrong with the individual MKV I was trying to play. I copied several others onto the server and all but that is one fine. I'm able to play multiple transcoded streams and everything is working flawlessly.

Als0 - I will remove the 4GB stick. Good info there.

Status
Not open for further replies.