Noob need help in deciding the prebuilt servers for First TrueNAS.

Photopoppet

Cadet
Hello all,
I am very new to this community. This is my first post.

My needs are:
A device to save all my Photos (the MAIN purpose- upload my Camera RAW+ JPEG files)
Plex server and backup 1 x PC, 1 X laptop and 2 x iPhone photos/ files. Plex streams 1TV- 4K and others on iPad or streams music from a Plex amp on a phone and Sonos. I have a plex pass.

Future plans:
Nextcloud with photo prism, my own mail server etc. (completely new to this area)

My experience so far:
Until I got my Dell Optiplex 5060( i5 8500 with 28GB RAM) with the excitement of running ubuntu and doing the above as I explained was my Project. But when I encountered command lines in ubuntu with docker and portainer, I was told by the Reddit Homelab community to try True NAS or OMV. My issue is I keep messing around with data (photos) and I keep storing it in all the portable drives and end up losing them eventually as part of my cleanup strategy.

So my current system runs with Windows ( I am very good with most windows use), but with Linux installed on a second drive, I realised my knowledge is not anywhere near as I expected. I installed TruNAS (this was before I read the long PowerPoint presentation from a user explaining ZFS and TrueNAS basic requirements. Also when trying TrueNAS on my Optiplex, I realised I need a separate PC / system to access the TrueNAS as it doesn't give any display over HDMI only through Web GUI. Also, I understand the need for using ECC Ram regardless of the money I spent on my Optiplex (almost £180 for RAM, HDD etc).

Now after long research and time invested in learning about True NAS, I decided to get a prebuild server. Building my own is out of the budget with the HDD ATM. So my budget is under £200. I came across the below units on eBay.

Fujitsu Primergy TX1310 M3-Xeon E3-1225 v6 @ 3.30GHz-8GB- Tower Server -£199.99

HP Z240 WORKSTATION PC XEON E3-1245 V5 @3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 -£94.99

Lenovo P310 ThinkStation Workstation Xeon E3-1225 v5 32GB RAM 1TB HDD No OS- £179

HP Z240 - Intel E3-1225v5@3.30GHz, 16GB, 500GB HDD, Nvidia K420 £90.00- awaiting bid / offer

Also found one off Dell Poweredge T30 with E3 1225 V5 for £125.
I decided not to go with T20 or anything with Xeon E3 12xx v3 as it's not as powerful and performance efficient where I can get a better system as above with an extra £100 and it will last at least another 5 years.

With my current knowledge, Intel Xeon e1225 v6 or 12xx v5 is the best find for transcoding and taking an ECC Ram which fits my pocket. I am happy to put more money into RAM eventually. Currently, in Optiplex, I have a 2 x 4TB HDD (Mirror) with all my Photos 1TB, Plex almost 1 TB of Movies and Music, and under 500GB of other files ):

2 x Toshiba MG04ACA400N 4TB, 7200 RPM, 3.5" SATA3 6Gb/s Enterprise HHD. I found these on eBay for £30 each which was removed from an old server and all checks are passed.

I have a WD My Book Duo with 2 x 3TB (Mirrored) WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 5400 which runs the backup from my PC. Also, I recently started trying out the back blaze on a trial period now, which runs the backup of my PC.
I hope I can use the above 4 HDD in my True NAS though I am not sure about how the effect of ZFS with different speed drives.

In future, I will be copying Blu-ray files (4k / original ) to plex and want to try VMs. Upgrading the current system to a MAC for photo editing purposes and using files from NAS.

Please pardon the ignorance of my knowledge or silly questions. But defo any recommendation will be very helpful.