How to set up my APC UPS + network card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stilez

Guru
I have an APC UPS with an AP9630 network card (not using USB).

I'm having issues configuring it, because the official docs are pretty minimal and ambiguous, and unfortunately so is guidance in the forum. There is an entry in the drivers list for AP9630, but the rest is unclear.

Rather than fumbling in the dark, can someone walk me through exactly how to configure my UPS and get it working properly with FreeNAS?

(As examples where I find the docs unclear, it provides the "monitor user" default name, but nothing else. So it doesn't say if this is the account used for client to daemon communication? Or daemon to UPS? Does the user need to create the account in Accounts-> Users, or on the UPS itself; or is it just used internally by networkupstools? Is the account literally used for "monitoring" only, or is a separate account needed to issue commands to the UPS? And where does one define the second login - presumably my card needs both "client->daemon" and "daemon->ups" logins defined.)

I've reset the UPS to "factory settings" through its GUI, and it's picked up an IP address using DHCP, so I can login on the UPS webUI with the default password. I'm now trying to figure what settings I need to create in the UPS webUI, and in the FreeNAS UPS service. The main functionality I'm after is pretty basic: alerting on power outage, and if not remedied within a given number of minutes, the NAS begins a shutdown (leaving the UPS powered up). I'd also like to be able to get status info off the UPS using the CLI. The NAS doesn't control any other "slave" power or any other UPS; it's a standalone master.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
In the web GUI, set FreeNAS to master, pick the AP9630 from the drivers list, and type in the card's IP address in the Port field (yes, you can type in there, it isn't just a drop-down). That's it. There's been a bug open for almost a year to add this to the docs.

Stilez

Guru
In the web GUI, set FreeNAS to master, pick the AP9630 from the drivers list, and type in the card's IP address in the Port field (yes, you can type in there, it isn't just a drop-down). That's it. There's been a bug open for almost a year to add this to the docs.
But that's surely not all of it? What about the various accounts + passwords (upstools client -> upstools daemon, and daemon login to UPS), and something in the "Monitor user/pw" fields? Or am I mistaken?

danb35

Hall of Famer
But that's surely not all of it?
Yes, actually, it is; everything else was left at defaults other than the checkbox for email notifications and my smartphone number to get text messages when there are power events.

Stilez

Guru
everything else was left at defaults other than the checkbox...
Including users/pw's? My UPS has had the default user/pw changed, and the FreeNAS guide says the "Monitor user" (whatever that means, it doesn't say!) should also have its 'fixmepass' pw changed.

How can the UPS daemon login to or communicate with the UPS to get status info or direct it to shut down (if desired), or the client communicate with the daemon within the NAS, if I don't give it updated user/pw info *somewhere*?

It seems that this area is poorly documented and is at the heart of my confusion. Can you recheck your comment and elaborate, in light of my confusion, to help me understand these aspects better?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't know how I can be any clearer. Pick the driver from the list. Enter the IP address or hostname in Port. Done. Ende. Finito. The monitor user and password would be relevant if another machine were connecting to your FreeNAS box to monitor the UPS (which would be pointless, as it could simply connect to the UPS itself). There is no place to enter the web login for the UPS itself.

Stilez

Guru
The monitor user and password would be relevant if another machine were connecting to your FreeNAS box to monitor the UPS

There is no place to enter the web login for the UPS itself.
Thanks Dan.
I'm sorry about having laboured the point, but this provides the clarity I needed.
I can't test it yet because it fails in the GUI: bug report.

Contributor
I have exactly the same hardware. And it's taken me hours of trying to get it to work. I found this post and got it to work in less than ten minutes. I also agree that it's far too over-complicated for simple folk like me to get working. Thank you very much @danb35

Status
Not open for further replies.