How to make Plex transcode in RAM?

ryszardlski

Cadet
Hey Guys,

I'm new here and I registered solely for the purpose of creating this thread.
I have been searching this forum, Plex forum, YT and everything that google threw at me but I couldn't find the answer to my question.
"How to make Plex transcode in RAM on FreeNAS?"

Is there a way? Can I even do it, and if so - how?
I'm asking for an explanation for dummies, since I am completely new to this system.

Thanks in advance
Cheers

nojohnny101

Wizard
"How to make Plex transcode in RAM on FreeNAS?"

I think that is the wrong question and likely asked because you don't understand how transcoding works. That is a CPU task.

Did you mean to ask about speeding up the storage where the files that plex works with lives? If that is what you meant, then likely storing your media on a separate SSD within plex would help although I can tell you from experience and from what I have heard from others, that CPU's are often the bottlenecks in regards to plex and transcoding, not spinning rust. This is obviously situation dependent and would matter if you have a lot of jails runnings that are resource intensive.

ryszardlski

Cadet
Hi.

No. The question is correct. I want Plex to store transcoded files on RAM. I know transcoding itself is done by the CPU. However the transcoded files have to be somewhere. What I want is to have these files in RAM. On windows you can just write \transcode in the transcode directory setting in Plex and that’s it.

Cheers

Redcoat

MVP
Post #19 in this thread has some indications. Maybe that will help.

ryszardlski

Cadet
Post #19 in this thread has some indications. Maybe that will help.

I have 1 problem with this though. I don't want to mount a specific Volume in RAM essentially creating a RAM disc. I know this is an option since I stumbled upon this thread before, during my search. I want to it to be a dynamic tmp folder not a set Volume.

You have the same option in Windows. You can create a RAM disc and point Plex to transcode in it, but you can also set the transcoding directory to \transcode which simply uses RAM as a temporary storage for the transcoded files. The second option leaves your RAM unused whenever you are not transcoding, while the RAM disc always eats a set amount of RAM from your system.

Hope I explained this understandably.

Cheers

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Why can't you do the \transcode thing? Plex is the same on all platforms for the most part.

peter2cfu

Dabbler
Any chance of plex or Freenas people comment on this, there is just so much contradictory information that it's a bit farcical.

I have a system that working well except for transcoding, and no reason for this that I can see.

The system in question can be seen in my signature below.

How can I set up a transcode to use tmpfs FreeNAS ramdisk.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Creating a RAM drive is covered here:
mdconfig -a -t swap -s 6g -u 1

There you would have a device of 6GB at /dev/md1 (vary the size to suit your needs)

If you then create a pool with it:
zpool create RAMpool md1

then Create the dataset to put in your plex jail
zfs create RAMpool/plextmp

Optionally export the pool so you can put it in the GUI (using Storage Pools Add, import existing pool after the export at CLI)

zpool export RAMpool

Then set the permissions you need for the Plex jail user in the GUI if you did that import, otherwise:
chown -R plex:plex /mnt/RAMpool/plextmp (substitute plex user UID if you don't have one matching on the host)
chmod -R 775 /mnt/RAMpool/plextmp

Then add the dataset in the jail in the GUI if you did the import, otherwise:
iocage exec plex mkdir /mnt/tmp
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/RAMPool/plextmp /mnt/tmp nullfs rw 0 0

Set plex to use that location (/mnt/tmp in the example above) using the Plex Interface (Settings, Transcoder, Show Advanced, Transcoder temporary directory)

Once you tested that and are happy with it... you need to think about how you will do that every time your server restarts:
The mapping in the jail will work as long as the RAMpool is recreated with the same name and permissions each time, so no need to do that last part again.

You could think about setting up a pre-init task with the command:
mdconfig -a -t swap -s 6g -u 1 && zpool create RAMpool md1 && zfs create RAMpool/plextmp && chown -R plex:plex /mnt/RAMpool/plextmp && chmod -R 775 /mnt/RAMpool/plextmp

(thanks to DeMoB here for the idea on that one, even if I did the ramdisk a little differently using the article from @Stux)

EDIT: I noticed that my testing VM where I had tried some of this out (running TrueNAS Core Nightlies) crashed last night and after the reboot, it was expecting to see the RAMpool (because I had imported it in the GUI... so I expect that this is a bad idea... I have struck through the items above for that reason).
EDIT2: I saw that the iocage fstab was read-only (not much point in a temp location that you can't write to)... changed it to read-write.

Last edited:

peter2cfu

Dabbler
Creating a RAM drive is covered here:
mdconfig -a -t swap -s 6g -u 1

Thank you for a very complete and elegant solution/answer... :)

Last edited:

peter2cfu

Dabbler
As an update, I may have a possible issue see text in red, no idea if this was appropriate but allowed me to continue, below are the exact steps I used.

in FreeNAS web interface goto Shell (bottom of the left-hand main menu)
Code:
mdconfig -a -t swap -s 20g -u 1
zpool create RAMpool md1
zfs create RAMpool/plextmp
mkdir /mnt/RAMpool
mkdir /mnt/RAMpool/plextmp
chown -R plex:plex /mnt/RAMpool/plextmp
chmod -R 775 /mnt/RAMpool/plextmp
iocage exec plex mkdir /mnt/tmp
iocage fstab -a plex /mnt/RAMpool/plextmp /mnt/tmp nullfs rw 0 0

In the Plex web interface set plex transcoder option to use
Code:
/mnt/tmp

in the FreeNAS web interface under Tasks goto Init/Shutdown Scripts where I added these commands

Type: SHUTDOWN | Timeout:20
Code:
zpool destroy -f RAMpool && mdconfig -d -u 1

Type: POSTINIT | Timeout:60
Code:
mdconfig -a -t swap -s 20g -u 1 && zpool create RAMpool md1 && zfs create RAMpool/plextmp && mkdir /mnt/RAMpool && mkdir /mnt/RAMpool/plextmp && chown -R plex:plex /RAMpool/plextmp && chmod -R 775 /RAMpool/plextmp

Run the df command from FreeNAS Shell just to check, you should see something like this if all goes well!
Code:
RAMpool                                                      19807652         88    19807564     0%    /RAMpool
RAMpool/plextmp                                              19807652         88    19807564     0%    /RAMpool/plextmp

Run the zpool list command from FreeNAS Shell just to check, you should see something like this if all goes well!
Code:
root@media[~]# zpool list
NAME           SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
RAMpool       19.5G   644K  19.5G        -         -     0%     0%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

I skewed up a few times so others may find this useful, run the below commands from the FreeNAS Shell to remove the memory drive
Code:
zpool destroy -f RAMpool
mdconfig -d -u 1

And remember to remove the jails specific stuff as well, if you're not going to ramdisk anymore.

Other Notes
https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/72yvs8/how_can_i_create_a_ramdisk_for_plex_transcoding/ - will try this one out later, seems to be a simpler approach.

July:19:2020 Seems this no longer works with the latest update of FreenNAS 11.3-U3.2, for some reason the task section is no longer selectable, sub items show but nothing happens when you click them. A bug maybe so recreated the RAMdisk manually as above via the shell now all the jails work, but still no access to anything to do with tasks.

Last edited:

peter2cfu

Dabbler
as an addition, I'm not sure why but seems every time I reboot, I have to startup manually the ramdisk and can only do it by destroying then recreating as below.
Code:
zpool destroy -f RAMpool && mdconfig -d -u 1
then
Code:
mdconfig -a -t swap -s 20g -u 1 && zpool create RAMpool md1 && zfs create RAMpool/plextmp && mkdir /mnt/RAMpool && mkdir /mnt/RAMpool/plextmp && chown -R plex:plex /RAMpool/plextmp && chmod -R 775 /RAMpool/plextmp
and then manually startup all my jails, looks like I need to make a script to start this up, other than that all seems to work.

Yorick

Wizard
This is the second time I've seen the idea of using RAM for transcode scratch. I'm puzzled - why? Write speed during transcode is far below what a HDD can deliver, ditto read. What's the advantage of moving this to RAM?

peter2cfu

Dabbler
This is the second time I've seen the idea of using RAM for transcode scratch. I'm puzzled - why? Write speed during transcode is far below what a HDD can deliver, ditto read. What's the advantage of moving this to RAM?
Because this seems to work, it did for me, I have HGST Ultrastar 4TB 3.5" SAS 12Gb/s and I was getting transcode anomalies now they seem to have gone away, also another very valid use case would be if you want to prolong your SSD life.

For me, I believe it was a latency related issue.

Last edited:

Yorick

Wizard

peter2cfu

Dabbler
Freezing was almost guaranteed when I tried to scroll/jump video via on the web interface, almost all issues were exclusively web interface related, which makes sense as that's when transcoding is used from what I've read, which lead me to look at RAM for the transcoding.

Ohh and something else I noted, it seems the catalogue is now much faster at displaying! I no idea if it's related but it's noticeable.

Last edited:

sretalla