How to install Minecraft server in a jail!

Skar78

Dabbler
Skar78

Don't know if you've seen MineOS - it's made this method kinda obsolete. MineOS is extremely easy.

here's the thread:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-9-plugin-mineos.20122/

Thanks. MineOS requires a newer Freenas Version than I am running (cant figure out why, but my server keeps crashing with 9.3 so i stick with the somewhat stable running 9.2.1.5.

I managed to get the jails working with many try and error attempts.

In the end I abandoned the scripts in this thread and just used screen via webgui shell to manually start the server.

Further I used cifs shares for the minecraft server files directory and so far its running great. I run 2 servers on the box, one is just for me and the other for a friend and me together (ftb infinity mod pack).

If i have ever the time to manage to figure out why 9.3 doesnt like my box i will give mineos a try. Appreciate the reply tho. Thanks and happy new year.

marcusorwen

Dabbler
Thanks. MineOS requires a newer Freenas Version than I am running (cant figure out why, but my server keeps crashing with 9.3 so i stick with the somewhat stable running 9.2.1.5.

I managed to get the jails working with many try and error attempts.

In the end I abandoned the scripts in this thread and just used screen via webgui shell to manually start the server.

Further I used cifs shares for the minecraft server files directory and so far its running great. I run 2 servers on the box, one is just for me and the other for a friend and me together (ftb infinity mod pack).

If i have ever the time to manage to figure out why 9.3 doesnt like my box i will give mineos a try. Appreciate the reply tho. Thanks and happy new year.
What is the specs of the box you are running (Ram, CPU, Disks)?

Skar78

Dabbler
Aus P9D-I + I3-4130T +ECC RAM - i suspect the P9D-I as it simply reboots without crashlog

paradoxiom

Patron
Does this guide still work / is accurate for the latest MineOS/Freenas 9.3-STABLE?

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This guide isn't for MineOS. So if you are trying to use MineOS, this guide will most certainly NOT work.

The guide does work though, as a friend just used it about 2 weeks ago.

TerranPhil

Dabbler
Thanks for the guide, cyberjock. Minecraft 1.9.4 server is up and running on 9.10 stable. The only issue I ran into was a "java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused" error when attempting to connect a client to the server. This was resolved by adding the eula.txt to the same folder as the minecraft_server.jar as follows:

Code:
echo "eula=true" > eula.txt

Jose Perez

Cadet
Hey Guys, so i finally tried to set up a minecraft server, and sadly. It does not want to work.
I am at the point where i need to download openjdk screen but it does not let me.
At first i had issues with broken dependencies, and i got that fix. Now it times out

Code:
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/All/openjdk-7.101.00_1,1.txz: Operation timed out

Thanks!

Seani

Dabbler
Thanks for this guide. Worked fine for me using Server version 1.11.2 for months. Now I wanted to upgrade to 1.12, which does not work. As stated in the guide, I shut down the jail, downloaded the new minecraft_server.jar file, renamed it and replaced the existing one in srv/minecraft with it. Afterwards, I restarted the jail and tried to log on to the server.

"io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connection refused: no further information:" was the error message I received in minecraft itself and screen -x via putty told me there was no session to be attached.
After several trys I reverted the upgrade by replacing the new server-file with the old one. Now everything works fine again. Thought maybe you'd like to know.

ric

Contributor
I was able to setup minecraft but the problem is Server wont start. There's a tab on main MineOS webpage where it asked me to Accept EULA and when I tried to do that an error message (see below) pops up as it says below:

"Mojang requires Minecraft server admins to accept the End User License Agreement before hosting a Minecraft server. This is done by changing 'eula=false' to 'eula=true' in eula.txt in your server root."

Please could someone guide me how to find this eula.txt file?

I appreciate it. Thanks!

This thread discusses how to install a Minecraft server in a jail. There are several other active threads that are more specific to MineOS.
Did you install MineOS? If so, all you really need to do is to click "Start Server" and then "Accept EULA" on that popup you are referring to, and it will update the file for you.

upload_2017-7-12_18-42-18.png

gchamort

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I have kind of a double problem :

Following the guide I get to something that looks fine but when I launched it I saw I dumbly copied the 1.7 serv in archive files where today's version is 1.13 .. dumb but it reavels something :
I DLed the new serv file, put it in the jail, restart it aaaand then it appears as "Can't connect to server" in Minecraft server's list.
I double check and indeed only 1.7 is detected.

To troubleshoot I thought about put back the 1.7 serv that at least seemed to works and try to launch, I launch a profile as v1.7 but then when I try to connect to server this happens
Capture d’écran 2019-02-28 à 21.52.26.png

Btw, using v1.7 file i can launch screen -x via ssh, with v1.13 I get "There is no screen to be attached."

Soooo either ways I'm stuck, any suggestions ?

Thx guys.

FreeNAS has evolved quite a bit since this thread was posted. Can you start at the beginning....
Some very basic information would be useful:
  • What is the exact version of FreeNAS that are you running?
  • If you're on 11.2+ , have you tried to install the MineOS plugin?
Note: I did read you minecraft-related post in the other thread also,but it's not clear what your end goal is.

gchamort

Cadet
Never mind, indeed MineOS works well.
FreeNAS has evolved quite a bit since this thread was posted. Can you start at the beginning....
Some very basic information would be useful:
  • What is the exact version of FreeNAS that are you running?
  • If you're on 11.2+ , have you tried to install the MineOS plugin?
Note: I did read you minecraft-related post in the other thread also,but it's not clear what your end goal is.

Yes I just find that out, nevermind, indeed MineOS works well.
I wanted to setup myself the jail to learn and have full control on it but MineOS seems pretty powerfull and sufficient enough.
Thx for your concern anyway Jurgen.

lilfree

Cadet
Never mind, indeed MineOS works well.

Yes I just find that out, never mind, indeed MineOS works well.
I wanted to setup myself the jail to learn and have full control on it but MineOS seems pretty powerfull and sufficient enough.
Thx for your concern anyway Jurgen.

I've been looking for a bedrock server option to install on freenas, does MineOS work with bedrock or only java edition???

If anyone is still trying to get 1.12.2 forge to work using this, I've figured out a way to get it to work however it does mean starting over, so make sure you save a copy of your files in /srv/minecraft.

At the beginning during installation of necessary packages, instead of doing:

# pkg install openjdk screen,

Try this instead:

#pkg install screen
#pkg install openjdk8

Basically what this does is installs java 8 instead of the newest version, which is the one that forge 1.12.2 requires. Follow any prompts on screen and then continue with the setup as stated in the instructions and if all goes well, you should have a working forge server.