Help with setting up a modded minecraft server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuus

Dabbler
I'm currently having difficulties setting up a modded minecraft server (Hermicraft Modsauce 2 from the AT launcher). I'm running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011 and have tried both the MineOS plugin and creating a custom jail for it. I would like to stay with MineOS as I am not the versed in using csh commands. I am running windows and my problem with MineOS at the moment is I try to move the server .jar file into the /var/games/minecraft/servers/(servername)/ folder where the other .jar file is and it will not give me permission to do so.

If anyone has experience setting up a minecraft server on windows using MineOS I would truly appreciate all the help.

Sakuru

Guru
What are you using to try to upload the jar file?

Nuus

Dabbler
Update: New problem

What are you using to try to upload the jar file?
Originally I tried putting the MineOS folder in a Share and using windows explorer to put the .jar directly into the /var/games/minecraft/servers/(servername) which would get me access denied problems. My work around was dropping it intially in the intial MineOS folder then going into the jail with jls/jexec to manually "mv" the folder into the correct directory. Well that worked as long as I ran vanilla minecraft. When I tried to use the .jar for the modded minecraft (Hermicraft - Modsauce 2) forge-1.7.10-10.13.4-universal.jar it wouldn't load properly. The server works when I run it on my PC but moving the files thru that same method and trying to start the forge.jar would not start the server on MineOS.

So right now my workaround is I followed the majority of https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-install-minecraft-server-in-a-jail.18246/ guide but I can't get the mcwatchdog and minecraft scripts to work properly. As of now I did everything in that guide but instead of using the scripts i'm manually going into the /srv/minecraft/ directory and running "sh LaunchServer.sh" which starts server but puts the log in the shell (I think thats what its called) and if I close the shell window I can't get back into the server gui thing to control the server (Only way to shut it down is turning off the jail).

So that is where I'm at right now. I'm open to suggestions but I can't seem to make the forge.jar for my modpack to work as intended by the MineOS plugin or by following the custom jail guide.

Sakuru

Guru

Nuus

Dabbler
Do you have to manually start and stop the server or does it autostart if it crashes?

So to clarify. All your minecraft files will be inside of the dataset seperate of the jail just like they would look like if you ran the server from your PC. Inside the jail is ONLY the .jar file which is located inside of jails/minecraftserver/srv/minecraft/ ???
What commands do you use to operate your server?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
mineos servers run as whatever user they were created as. the default with the plugin is mcserver (UID 199).
The jar you copy over should be owned by that user.

Sakuru

Guru
Do you have to manually start and stop the server or does it autostart if it crashes?
Yes, it's completely manual.

So to clarify. All your minecraft files will be inside of the dataset seperate of the jail just like they would look like if you ran the server from your PC. Inside the jail is ONLY the .jar file which is located inside of jails/minecraftserver/srv/minecraft/ ???
I store all of my Minecraft files in my minecraft dataset (tank/minecraft). I have that mounted inside the jail at /mnt/minecraft.

What commands do you use to operate your server?
Server packs usually come with a LaunchServer.sh script with something in it like "java -Xmx2048 -jar forge-something-something.jar nogui". I start a screen session, navigate to /mnt/minecraft/pack-name, and execute the launch script.

Status
Not open for further replies.