SOLVED Help setting up modded minecraft server?

Lyoko630

Dabbler
I have recently built a NAS with the intent to run a modded minecraft server off of it as well as have storage for my family.

Storage problem? Solved
Minecraft problem? Headache inducing.

I have been trying to get a server running for 2 weeks with no success whatsoever. Actually, I got a vanilla server running off of mineOS but that's it. I've followed guides, looked at forums, and still the problem remains. I cannot get a Revolution|3 server running off of mineOS or a jail.

I need help. Badly.

I'm up for hours trying to get a working server and it always ends with me going to bed frustrated around 4am. If anybody has a solution or can at least help with this problem, I will greatly appreciate it.

I'm running FreeNAS 11.0-U4 trying to run a Revolution|3 minecraft server downloaded from the ATLauncher.

Good luck. I have never successfully installed a modded minecraft server.

I've been a Unix admin for 22 years. Everything from the smallest Raspberry Pi to a large IBM AIX HACMP cluster. I've written (minor) software in a dozen different languages. I even made to the level of IT Directory for a financial services firm. I got my first internet email address in 1987 and my first internet domain in 1995. I have a five-digit Slashdot UID beginning with a '1'. My tech cred is solid.

My son jumped into Minecraft hardcore years ago. I spun up several worlds on my colocated server for him and his friends to play. We had LAN parties to play Minecraft at my house. There were times there were 15 or more kids playing cooperatively in the same land. It was awesome.

Until the kid wanted to install the Twilight Forest mod. Being the cool IT dad, I said, sure, no problem. I figured, what, how long could it take? An hour? Maybe? Right? Twelve-year-olds do this all the time, right?

That night, I spent five hours trying to make it work. I watched dozens of YouTube videos, read several tutorials, checked the forums, everything. I threw myself into this project the way I would a cloud scale SAP deployment.

Three weeks later, dozens of man hours of worthless research and failed attempts, my soul crushed, my son disappointed, I gave up.

Cheers,
Matt

Lyoko630

Dabbler

I've been a Unix admin for 22 years. Everything from the smallest Raspberry Pi to a large IBM AIX HACMP cluster. I've written (minor) software in a dozen different languages. I even made to the level of IT Directory for a financial services firm. I got my first internet email address in 1987 and my first internet domain in 1995. I have a five-digit Slashdot UID beginning with a '1'. My tech cred is solid.

My son jumped into Minecraft hardcore years ago. I spun up several worlds on my colocated server for him and his friends to play. We had LAN parties to play Minecraft at my house. There were times there were 15 or more kids playing cooperatively in the same land. It was awesome.

Until the kid wanted to install the Twilight Forest mod. Being the cool IT dad, I said, sure, no problem. I figured, what, how long could it take? An hour? Maybe? Right? Twelve-year-olds do this all the time, right?

That night, I spent five hours trying to make it work. I watched dozens of YouTube videos, read several tutorials, checked the forums, everything. I threw myself into this project the way I would a cloud scale SAP deployment.

Three weeks later, dozens of man hours of worthless research and failed attempts, my soul crushed, my son disappointed, I gave up.

Cheers,
Matt
At least I know I'm not the only one with problems setting this up

I have a Minecraft fanatic son also, and as a result I'm running several modded Minecraft servers, Forge, FTB, CraftBukkit, all managed through MineOS. I never used the ATLauncher modpacks, so I gave it a try and managed to get a Revolution 3 server running.

This is what I did:

Prepare the client:
  • Download the ATlauncher client, I picked the ".exe" version as we're running Windows clients. I installed version 3.2.3.9
  • Run the launcher, install a new "Revolution 3" instance. I installed 3.7.3 / based on Minecraft 1.7.10 with the whatever default mods it selected
  • Click the "create server", and note down the path where it saves the files, e.g. C:\path\to\atlauncher\Servers\Revolution3_373\ You can delete this folder later.
On FreeNAS, I assume you created a standard jail and have MineOS working using this brilliant How-To guide. The PBI plugin may also work, but I didn't test it.

Logon to your MineOS admin page:
  • Create a new server, just give it a name "revolution3" and an unused port, e.g. 25599; the rest of the fields can be left as-is
  • This should create a "revolution3" folder in your jail
  • Use WinSCP to copy all the files from C:\path\to\atlauncher\Servers\Revolution3_373 to your FreeNAS jail, typically /mnt/tank/jails/mineos_1/var/games/minecraft/servers/revolution3/ Make sure to do the following (WinSCP can do all that, no command line needed):
  • before copying: change your transfer settings from binary to automatic and check the "Remove BOM and EOF file marks"
  • after copying: change the ownership of all the files in that folder to mcserver:mcserver recursively.
  • back to the MineOS admin page, logoff/logon to refresh the server list.
  • Start your"revolution3" server up, Click the Accept EULA button, pick the "forge*unversal" jar file when it prompts you. I gave it 4096 Mb of -Xmx; that seems to be the bare minimum. Be patient, it takes a while to start up. Monitor the logs in /mnt/tank/jails/mineos_1/var/games/minecraft/servers/revolution3/logs/ for problems. By default it generates a ridiculous amount of log entries.
Finally:
Now you can start the launcher, go to multiplayer and connect to your server and enjoy!

upload_2017-11-7_22-40-19.png

Lyoko630

Dabbler
I have a Minecraft fanatic son also, and as a result I'm running several modded Minecraft servers, Forge, FTB, CraftBukkit, all managed through MineOS. I never used the ATLauncher modpacks, so I gave it a try and managed to get a Revolution 3 server running.

This is what I did:

Prepare the client:
  • Download the ATlauncher client, I picked the ".exe" version as we're running Windows clients. I installed version 3.2.3.9
  • Run the launcher, install a new "Revolution 3" instance. I installed 3.7.3 / based on Minecraft 1.7.10 with the whatever default mods it selected
  • Click the "create server", and note down the path where it saves the files, e.g. C:\path\to\atlauncher\Servers\Revolution3_373\ You can delete this folder later.
On FreeNAS, I assume you created a standard jail and have MineOS working using this brilliant How-To guide. The PBI plugin may also work, but I didn't test it.

Logon to your MineOS admin page:
  • Create a new server, just give it a name "revolution3" and an unused port, e.g. 25599; the rest of the fields can be left as-is
  • This should create a "revolution3" folder in your jail
  • Use WinSCP to copy all the files from C:\path\to\atlauncher\Servers\Revolution3_373 to your FreeNAS jail, typically /mnt/tank/jails/mineos_1/var/games/minecraft/servers/revolution3/ Make sure to do the following (WinSCP can do all that, no command line needed):
  • before copying: change your transfer settings from binary to automatic and check the "Remove BOM and EOF file marks"
  • after copying: change the ownership of all the files in that folder to mcserver:mcserver recursively.
  • back to the MineOS admin page, logoff/logon to refresh the server list.
  • Start your"revolution3" server up, Click the Accept EULA button, pick the "forge*unversal" jar file when it prompts you. I gave it 4096 Mb of -Xmx; that seems to be the bare minimum. Be patient, it takes a while to start up. Monitor the logs in /mnt/tank/jails/mineos_1/var/games/minecraft/servers/revolution3/logs/ for problems. By default it generates a ridiculous amount of log entries.
Finally:
Now you can start the launcher, go to multiplayer and connect to your server and enjoy!

View attachment 21400
Okay, so I got to the point where I transferred all the files to the server. However, when I try to change the permissions, it lists my FreeNAS users, and not the jail users. Therefore, when I try to start the server, it tries and then fails due to incorrect permissions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I got to the point where I transferred all the files to the server. However, when I try to change the permissions, it lists my freeNAS users, and not the jail users.

That's fine, even though WinSCP only lists the FreeNAS users in the dropdown, the field is free-form and you can just type in whatever you want. You should type the UID & GUI of the mcserver user; probably both 1001.

upload_2017-11-8_10-36-5.png

Lyoko630

Dabbler
Whenever I try to change it to my username and group it either changes it to the FreeNAS user with the 1001 id, even though rev3(my mineos username) has that id in the jail:
2017-11-08 13_11_22-asm, ... Properties.png

2017-11-08 13_11_47-asm, ... Properties.png

or it gives me this error when I use the username:
2017-11-08 13_07_41-Error.png

I had the minecraft user from when I was trying to get the server going from a previous jail using this guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it does looks funky, as WinSCP tries to resolve the UID to a username that may not match the one in the jail. As the message says, it changes ownership by UID only; it's OK to just type the UID only, click enter and ignore what it seems to resolve to.
As an alternative, you can go to your jail shell, cd into /var/games/servers/Revolution3 and do the old chown -R mcserver:mcserver *

Lyoko630

Dabbler
Yes, it does looks funky, as WinSCP tries to resolve the UID to a username that may not match the one in the jail. As the message says, it changes ownership by UID only; it's OK to just type the UID only, click enter and ignore what it seems to resolve to.
As an alternative, you can go to your jail shell, cd into /var/games/servers/Revolution3 and do the old chown -R mcserver:mcserver *
Okay, so I did the chown -R rev3:rev3 * command, but now it won't even attempt to start the server anymore. It just sits at down.
serverstart.gif

It looks like linprocfs is not mounted. (The give-away is that the "Down" button is white; it should be red or green). You can verify by running mount | grep linprocfs from the FreeNAS command line. You have to remount every time when you stop or restart the MineOS jail.

Stop the jail, remount and restart, as per the How-to guide.

Lyoko630

Dabbler
Alright I stopped the jail, mounted linprocfs, and started the jail. The Down button is now red. I clicked start, and the server went up for about 5 seconds, and then went down again like before.

Did you click the "Accept EULA"? Anything interesting in/var/log/mineos.log or in the logfiles in /var/games/minecraft/servers/Revolution3/logs/ ?

Lyoko630

Dabbler
The logs in /var/games/minecraft/servers/Revolution3/logs/ say they haven't been changed since October:
2017-11-08 15_32_32-logs - root@192.168.1.26 - WinSCP.png

And the mineos log doesn't really say much, just received start requests.

Yes, the logs aren't very helpful. At this point I suspect that a step was missed or the permissions or ownership of some files in the jail outside of the /var/games/servers/Revolution3 folder were accidentally changed and broke something. Can you still start a vanilla mc server in that jail?

At this point I would try to create a new jail from scratch and start clean. You can keep the old jail for reference, in case any differences stand out.

Lyoko630

Dabbler
Okay, problem actually solved for once in my life. I completely redid the whole jail, and when I got to creating the user, I found that I hadn't added the user to the games group as well. So I did that, and when I did the file transfer in WinSCP, I used the games group instead of mcserver(it didn't show up) and 1001 came up as a user. I went through with the rest of the steps and now the server is up and running! I thank you tremendously, and suggest you post the guide above somewhere because the amount of people that I ran into trying to do the same thing I was is a lot.

That's great, thank you for letting me know! :)

zigzatuzoo

Cadet
I have recently built a NAS with the intent to run a modded minecraft server off of it as well as have storage for my family.

Storage problem? Solved
Minecraft problem? Headache inducing.

I have been trying to get a server running for 2 weeks with no success whatsoever. Actually, I got a vanilla server running off of mineOS but that's it. I've followed guides, looked at forums, and still the problem remains. I cannot get a Revolution|3 server running off of mineOS or a jail.

I need help. Badly.

I'm up for hours trying to get a working server and it always ends with me going to bed frustrated around 4am. If anybody has a solution or can at least help with this problem, I will greatly appreciate it.

I'm running FreeNAS 11.0-U4 trying to run a Revolution|3 minecraft server downloaded from the ATLauncher.
Hey i know im a little late to the show but if you want to run a modded server from just the command line, and the file is already put together just upload it to git hub or something and download the file onto the jail and have openjdk-8 installed and then all you have to do is run the forge with the command for example:
Code:
java -jar forge-1.12.2-14.23.5.2847-universal.jar

and it should run

Blair H

Cadet

Cheers,
Matt
This is me! I started with DEC OSF/1 on Digital Alpha's back in the day so know a thing or two about Unix and Linux... yet this stumped me!

I'm pleased to say that the post above helped me so it is now working... but it's embarrassing to say the least.