Minecraft Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobthemarley

Cadet
Hi, I've been looking for a way to install a minecraft server onto freenas. In my searching I've found out that I need to run a FreeBSD jail on freenas in order to install java which will run the server. However, all the guides to installing a FreeBSD jail on freenas have been taken down. Can someone help me install a minecraft server onto my freenas?

toddos

Contributor
That's a Plugins Jail not a jail that has FreeBSD running on it.

Uh ... what exactly do you think the plugin jail is?

The guides you're referring to were pre-8.2, which added easy gui-based creation of the jail. Thus you no longer need to create it manually. You install the plugin jail, you get a full-fledged jail. Ssh into the NAS or open the console, jexec `jls jid` csh, and you're in the jail.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
This shouldn't be too hard. Just install my subsonic plugin (no need to run it, but it comes with openjdk) then download minecraft server and run it with the java in /usr/pbi/subsonic-amd64/openjdk6

bobthemarley

Cadet
Can I get a little guide for this? I'm still getting a hang of FreeNAS, not too knowledgeable about the shell.

brentaar

Dabbler
FreeNAS-8.3.1 Minecraft Server

I just did this yesterday, though there is probably a more correct way.

Code:
##Get into the jail as su
##Install openjdk7
  pkg_add -r openjdk7
  #Verify it's working
    /usr/local/bin/java -version
##Install minecraft server
  mkdir /usr/local/minecraft_server
  #Pull the server into the folder
  #Verify the server can work
    /usr/local/bin/java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
*This is mainly from memory and incomplete

I installed bash, tmux and vim usign 'pkg_add -r' command.

I'm running the server in a tmux window and there are alot of other bits that need to be ironed out.

My server is pretty lightly used, but i haven't seen much of an increase resource usage. I'm pretty sure a jail upgrade will kill this setup. Later on i'll use mount points to keep the server from being destroyed by the upgrade.
Also, this probably goes against the idea of pbi installs into the jail, but having the pkg_add opens a world of possibilities for this server. Ths use of pkg_add should be a bit more publicized.

titan_rw

Guru
Re: FreeNAS-8.3.1 Minecraft Server

Ths use of pkg_add should be a bit more publicized.

Be aware, pkg_add is not the recommended way to install software in a jail.

William Grzybowski says:

William Grzybowski said:
pkg_add works but _shouldnt_ be used. Ports is the recommended way.

William Grzybowski said:
The plugins jail is based on freebsd releng/8.0, the ports used to built are from a different date and the pkg_add fetches the packages from 8.3-release repository (kernel version). pkg_add binary system is not advanced enough to work with this so you end up installing binaries that may not be compatible with other packages.

Wyl

Explorer
Has this installation been made easier with the release of 9.1 ?

D

dlavigne

Not yet. It will be easier once someone creates a FreeNAS 9.x PBI for it.

Reactions: Wyl
Status
Not open for further replies.