SOLVED How to access a dataset's contents

Hexanilix

Dabbler
Back at it again with problemos (ಥ‿ಥ),
So my amazing router daily resets my LAN IP addresses, so each time I want to access my server I gotta re-add the share in windows explorer (this ain't the problem just to be clear). One time I forgor how to add the share and thought it broke so I changed some of my user settings like user perms, groups, and the Home directory aaand now it's basically like a new user. Now, this is an issue since all of my data is located like so | tank/storage/(the data like sum folders) |, but as we know SMB data shares create new per-user folders like so | tank/storage/[user]/(data) |. I have no clue what I did before to have it set up for the default folder to be "tank/storage" instead of "tank/storage/[user]" and I'd like your help to figure out how to get there.

Sorry in advance if this is like just one option to turn on or sth stupidly easy to figure out シ

Davvo

MVP
Looks like a home share.
You should consider assigning a static IP to your NAS.

Edit: you can always access those files with ssh and root user.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Agreed. You should also consider a router that isn't pathologically broken.

Hexanilix

Dabbler
Agreed. You should also consider a router that isn't pathologically broken.
Let me get something out of the way then. It's not my router that is the problem it's my network provider. It's very simple to just assign IP addresses in the router settings but my network provider doesn't allow logging into your router :|. It's the only one I ever saw do this but it's fine since I'm changing them out anyway

you can always access those files with ssh and root user.
Yea just did that and just moved them files to a directory I can access so it's good enough
It's fine now ty

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's very simple to just assign IP addresses in the router settings but my network provider doesn't allow logging into your router
I'd expect you could still replace your router with one you control. But regardless, you can set a static IP address on the NAS itself, which would IMO be the better thing to do than a DHCP reservation anyway.